It is currently November 19th, 2017, 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Horse Racing Mania Code of Conduct
PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 1:54 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Everyone and Welcome!

First and foremost I would like to thank everyone for joining us and choosing to be a HorseRacingManiac...you will find that there are MANY MORE in the world than you thought, especially that are as avid a bunch as we are. WELCOME TO ALL and we certainly look forward to your input.
I must post a code of condust ot "rules to live by" here in hopes that everyone minds their manners and pays particular attention to their internet social graces. These discussions here should be no different than being in a round table conference and talking face to face...no amount of hiding behind a screen persona is an excuse to be rude, condescending or outright insulting and such behavior is being carefully scrutinized and will swiftly be dealt with if it spirals out of control.
While it is never our intention to ban anyone, it is certainly an option. HRM prefers to let everyone have a voice and an opinion but at the same time there will always be opposing views. Just as in life we must respect those differing opinions and embrace the diversity that comes with new opinions and ideas. As is the case with many message boards and online forums, disagreements will occur, and differences of opinions will surface howvere, that is no excuse for outright insults or discrediting others. If we do not agree we can elect to stay out of the conversation or just listen to how others feel. There is NO EXCUSE for rude behavior.
I am privileged to say I have made friends with nearly every member we have thus far and I choose to preserve those people as friends but in NO WAY does my friendship protect anyone or exempt them from warnings or potential banishment (all banishments will be temporary and will depend on behavior and whether warnings have been heeded or ignored). I simply cannot sit at the computer all day and monitor every single post and refuse to do so anyhow. I do read every conversation and if things get out of hand I will send out a warning (via private message)...if a poster has had multiple warnings, it will then force HRM to relieve that member from posting privileges until which time they can conduct themselves in a respectful manner. I refuse to openly scold anyone and refuse to warn people constantly. If we cannot all have enough social conscience (the internet is NO different than real life except we tend to get a little more bold in our behavior) to act accordingly then we probably shouldn't be involved in public conversation. Again, my friendship with any poster will not protect them or create any immunity...it will not ruin our friendship but also will not create a safe zone around ANY. I do not discriminate when it comes to outright assinine and unnecessary behavior.
Since HRM is no longer a private forum and is now public on the WWW, we must remember that "the world is watching". I am sure all of us at one point or another have been emabarrassed by our behavior and the discussions here at HRM should be no exception. PLease remember this and act accordingly. We have the world watching us and want the world to see that Horse Racing Maniacs all over the world are UNITED rather than conflicting. We ALL share the same love of the sport and the equine and human stars involved so that should be the foremost reason we are all here. Differences of opinion and clashes of character are bound to happen but please remember that acting out and lashing out in less-than-ideal ways only makes the individual behanving that way look ridiculous. THe more we look ridiculous the less we will draw in new people and ideally we want people all over the world to come here and share in the wonderful world of horse racing with us regardless if they agree or not.
HRM encourages differences of opinions and welcomes HEALTHY debating...it does NOT at ANY time welcome rude and insulting behavior nor does it condone openly baiting other members into all out feuds. We don't have to be friends but we DO have to be respectfuol and act morally and scoaially respectful at all times. Posts that show blatant disrespect or open insukts will be "edited" to improve the content or removed all together. NO warning will be given for doing so, so again we encourgae that carefulo thought be given prior to hitting that submit button. When in doubt, if someting is questionable please consider better methods of getting your points across. If at anytime you wish to refrain from engaging in conversation with someone you can go into your User Control Panel and opt to add that person to your "foe" list...this will hide their posts from you and will keep you from having to sift through any posts by that person in order to get to conversation. On the flip side, if there are members you wish to talk more than others they can also be set as a "friend" and their posts will be shown first when you open the forum. You can certainly also ignore people as well. Again, behavior is all about acting like respoensible and respectful adults so pease use you best judgment. Again, as stated above no friendships will protect anyone so I should hope that due to this fact, people will be mindful of their behavior towards others here. No racial, sexual, gender, political, religious, or or social slurs will be tolerated and will be edited from any post showing such blunders. For one, we should ALL know enough NOT to post such garbage anyhow.
Finally, be yourself but don't be rude. Respect other opinions even if you disagree, and most of all THANKS for being a HRManiac...Horse Racing Maniacs of the world...UNITE!
When in doubt...here are some easy words to live by:
1.) If you don't take the bait, you cannot be caught.
2.) If you cannot seem to say anything nice, perhaps it is best not to say anything at all.
3.) If tensions erupt and a disagreement elevates, it is best to "TAKE IT OUTSIDE" (even if this requires continuing the argument via email, phone, private message or whatever...it isn't fair that everyone else gets caught in the crossfire).
4.) Maintain integrity at all times.
5.) Have a voice...have an opinion...but PLEASE don't not let your opinions cloud your judgment and affect your behavior in a negative way. There is a way to debate in a healthy manner and outright rude behavior is NOT one of those ways.
6.) It takes a "bigger man" to walk away from a fight...no matter how hard it may seem it is easier to let ourselves becomes emotionally charged and dive right into a fight BUT the better man walks away no matter how hard it is. HRM will prevent baiting and will protect ANY member who is being baited by someone who just has to be hostile and rude.
7.) Mind your P`s and Q`s....PLAIN and SIMPLE! Social grace and responsibility should be out optimal concern and we should all act accordingly. If you wouldn't say it at a "high society dinner" then that should be an indicator that your probably shouldn't say it here. There are places on the web that don't care how rude and nasty you get but HRM is NOT one of them.
8.) Any harrassment or ANY member will NOT be tolerated in ANY capacity. If you receive a harrassment warning from HRM you are one step away from being an ex HRManiac. No three warnings will be giving here. You will be reminded once and once only and if you still elect to harrass another member HRM will relieve your posting privileges for an indefinite amount of time depending on the infraction.
9.) Err on the side of caution as it is always better to be safe with posts than sorry because of them.
10.) HAVE FUN...MEET FRIENDS...BE NICE...DEBATE IN A HEALTHY WAY...AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL....
HORSE RACING MANIACS OF THE WORLD UNITE!!! HOOF HOOF HOORAY!!!
THANK YOU

Post subject: Re: Horse Racing Mania Code of Conduct
PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 3:15 pm 

GOOD TO KNOW THE RULES TREET THANKS FOR POSTING

PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

You're Welcome Born...Happy to do so....

(Actually I wasn't...it is SAD that I ever even needed to "stoop" to rules when I should think that adults KNOW how to post and what is appropriate and not appropriate but lately that didn't seem the case and necessitated the rules to be posted. Hopefully the rules will do some good and serve to guide the HRManiacs on how best to post and when it may be best to leave certain things or topics alone when they cannot seem to post a response accordingly and most importantly, appropriately. I sure hope so!)

PostPosted: December 9th, 2009, 1:04 pm 

BUMP

PostPosted: December 15th, 2009, 3:55 pm 

I think a few people need to reread this and possibly answer a quiz, or face banning.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2009, 4:19 pm 

Ta Wee wrote:
I think a few people need to reread this and possibly answer a quiz, or face banning.
LOL :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]