Post subject: Re: Pacific Classic Post Positions to be run Sun Aug 28th
PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 1:05 pm 

twirling candy
satley victor
game on dude

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

There's some VERY nice horses in this one...almost any one of them could make a case for the win...I am exceptionally curious to see Acclamation in here...I know he likes the distance and with his affirnity for the grass I think he might like the synthetics too. Twirling Candy is surely going to be hard to be though....Just like Uncle Mo he has been training like a MONSTER and seems VERY primed and ready to run an exceptional race. Here's a few of my variations of picks:

1.) Twirling Candy

2.) Setsuko

3.) Tres Borrachos

4.) Game On Dude -or- Jeranimo

1.) Twirling Candy

2.) Jeranimo

3.) Game On Dude

4.) Bourbon Bay

1.) Twirling Candy

2.) Game On Dude

3.) Setsuko

4.) Acclamation

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

(Courtesy of Thoroughbred Times)

TVG plans expansive coverage of Pacific Classic

Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 10:36 AM

Television Games Network will ramp up its coverage of Sunday’s TVG Pacific Classic (G1) with extra cameras, enhanced graphics, and multiple features covering the $1-million race for older horses.
The live, on-site coverage will begin at 4:30 p.m. PDT with post time scheduled for 5:15 p.m.
“Our daily coverage of the Del Mar meet is already expansive, but for the TVG Pacific Classic we elevate our efforts to an even higher level,” said TVG Executive Vice President Tony Allevato. “Our goal is to not only capture all the action, but to do it in a comprehensive fashion that gives viewers a full perspective of everything surrounding the race.”
TVG will begin weekend race coverage with a 60-minute TVG Pacific Classic preview show airing at 11 p.m. PDT on Friday. The show will re-air multiple times leading up the race. Examining each of the contenders, conducting interviews, and setting the scene will be Todd Schrupp, Simon Bray, Paul Lo Duca, and Christina Olivares.
The TVG Pacific Classic, the richest event on the California summer racing calendar, is part of the Breeders’ Cup Challenge Series, with the winner earning an automatic starting spot in the $5-million Breeders’ Cup Classic (G1). This marks the second consecutive year TVG has sponsored the race.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

(Courtesy of Thoroughbred Times)

Pacific Classic has historical ties for Sadler, Craig, Candy Ride

Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:21 PM

CANDY RIDE
Benoit & Associates photo

by Joe Nevills

When trainer John Sadler sends Twirling Candy to the track on Sunday for the TVG Pacific Classic Stakes (G1) at Del Mar, it will represent many roads once again intertwining.

The link between Sadler, Twirling Candy’s breeders, Jenny Craig and her late husband, Sid, and sire Candy Ride (Arg) has produced many high-profile horses and victories, but their history together began in 2002 when Sadler was visiting South America.
“When I was in South America that year, I was told of [Candy Ride’s] legend down there,” he said. “He carried a big rep from South America when he came to California, so I was fascinated to watch him run and watched all of his races.”
Candy Ride was named Argentina’s champion miler in 2002-2003, with a perfect record from three starts, including two Group 1 victories. His smallest winning margin from those races was eight lengths.
“He never lost a race, won on multiple surfaces and probably ran in Patagonia—before he ran at Buenos Aires—at a track that probably nobody had ever heard of,” Sadler said.
Candy Ride was imported to the U.S. in 2003 to run for new owners Jenny and Sid Craig. In the final start of his undefeated career, Candy Ride won that year’s Pacific Classic by 3 1/4 lengths.
During his time in the U.S., Sadler continued to keep a close eye on the Argentine champion.
“The [Ron] McAnally barn is about two away from mine at Del Mar and I’d been watching Candy Ride prep for the Classic,” Sadler said. “He trained so sensationally for that race, I was totally convinced he was going to win it.”
Candy Ride began his stud career in 2005 at Hill ‘n’ Dale Farms in Lexington before moving to Lane’s End for the 2010 season, and at both stallion stations he frequently was visited by the Craigs’ mares.
Some of the Craigs’ young Candy Ride horses went to Sadler’s barn, including 2010 Santa Anita Derby (G1) winner Sidney’s Candy and Twirling Candy, winner of the 2010 Malibu Stakes (G1) at Santa Anita Park.
“Jenny Craig is one of the really great ladies in California racing,” Sadler said. “She loves to have good horses and loves to watch them run and especially loves to watch them run at Del Mar. It’s always fun to come down here and have a good season for her.”
Sadler, Del Mar’s leading trainer by wins and earnings through Tuesday, will try on Sunday to earn another Pacific Classic victory for Jenny Craig, who owns Twirling Candy in partnership with William S. Farish and Marty Wygod.
Twirling Candy enters Sunday’s race off a third-place finish by a neck to the Bob Baffert-trained duo of First Dude and Game On Dude in the Hollywood Gold Cup Handicap (G1) on July 9 at Hollywood Park.
“We feel he can run the distance,” Sadler said of the 1 1/4 miles, a distance at which Twirling Candy has not won in two tries. “He was giving four to six pounds to the horses that beat him in the handicap. He’ll come in at level weights this time.”
Although the horse normally prefers to be near the lead, Sadler expected Twirling Candy to be positioned farther back for the Pacific Classic to take advantage of a Del Mar synthetic track that he believes will favor closers.
“He’s trained extremely well for this race and now it’s kind of up to him,” Sadler said. “We think he can do it or he wouldn’t be in there.”
Joe Nevills is a Thoroughbred Times staff writer

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

Bourbon Bay has been scratched out of this race in favor of the Del Mar Handicap instead.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 2:29 pm 

I'll go with
Setsuko has a good post position and I think will be just set off the pace for a stretch kick at the end.
Twirling Candy who will be outside of Game Dude and Don Cavallo may get tired from the other 2 but hold off the rest.
Don Cavallo will get out on the front end and perhaps hang on for a piece of the purse.
I think there will be a lot of pressure on the front end between Don Cavallo, Game Dude and Twirling Candy.
Thus setting it up for a horse to move up off the pace like the way the Hollywood Cup was run.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

HTR,
Bisket's gonna love you! He's a big fan of Setsuko and I am sure he'll likely agree with yoru top pick in here. I will be curiosu to see if he pops in before this race to offer his picks.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

(Courtesy of Daily Racing Form)

Acclamation ready for something different in Pacific Classic

By
Jay Hovdey

Benoit & Associates

Acclamation may be a grass horse, but a Pacific Classic win would not be a shock after three straight one-sided wins.

There is no good reason anyone should think that Acclamation could win the $1 million Pacific Classic on Sunday at Del Mar, except for the fact that he is a proven stayer with speed to spare and he’s in the best form of his life.
I mean come on. He’s a grass horse, right? When’s the last time a dedicated grass horse won the Pacific Classic? Answer: never. He’s also 5, a heckuva time in this day and age to kick a career into high gear, and if Acclamation was any kind of a serious prospect for a world-class, 10-furlong main track event like the Classic, where was he when they ran the Hollywood Gold Cup, or the Santa Anita Handicap, either this year or last?
Acclamation was bred and raised in the San Joaquin Valley of Central California, known more for its billions in agricultural production than its Thoroughbred output. He hails from a barn that tends to fly under the radar, despite the fact that their horses carry the oldest active set of silks in California. His jockey is hungry and battle-tested, and the good news is that he has won the Pacific Classic before. The rest of the news? It was 20 years ago.
Still, it will be shame on anybody truly shocked if Acclamation comes through Sunday after his consecutive, one-sided victories in the 12-furlong Jim Murray, the 10-furlong Charles Whittingham, and the nine-furlong Eddie Read since May. If nothing else, it will be an historically satisfying sight to see the red and white colors of Old English Rancho worn by Pat Valenzuela aboard Acclamation in the post parade.
Valenzuela, 48, won the first Pacific Classic in 1991 aboard Best Pal, which is not nearly as long ago as Ellwood B. Johnston, the father of Old English Rancho owner Buddy Johnston, began breeding horses in Southern California shortly after the end of World War II. Through the 1950s and into the ’60s, there seemed to be no end to the classy colts and fillies who came off the farm, including such nationally recognized stakes stars as Ruth Lily, Real Good Deal, Fleet Treat, and June Darling.
The breeding of Thoroughbreds, for all its pretense to diligent analysis and application, can be mostly a wacky crapshoot. It is comforting, therefore, that every once in a while you can stand at the stall of a good one and be able to say, “Hey kid. I know where you came from.”
This reporter was first dazzled by a Johnston horse in 1973 when Impressive Style, 4 at the time, was one of the best female sprinters in the West. By then, she’d already won the Del Mar Debutante. Her younger sister, the unraced Lady With Style, was 14 when she produced the filly Winning in Style, who in turn was 18 when she produced Acclamation to the cover of Unusual Heat. This would qualify, in arboreal terms, as an old growth forest.
Don Warren, 59, is a second-generation horseman who went to work galloping horses for the Johnston family more than 40 years ago. Warren’s younger brother Ron was a successful jockey, primarily in Northern California, but Don always held to the path of a trainer. He eventually got his wish, and one of his first good horses was the Johnston’s grass colt Something Lucky, winner of the 1987 Will Rogers and Cinema Handicaps.
“He was a good one, but he got injured and ended his career early,” Warren recalled. “Like Bruce Headley says, ‘It’s not how fast. It’s how long they last.’ Luckily, this guy has lasted quite a while already.”
At that particular moment, “this guy” was drawn to the front of his Del Mar stall by arriving visitors. Crumbs of grain from his feed tub still dotted Acclamation’s muzzle as he nosed his hay rack for attention. In a population of equine inmates, he seemed like one of the happy ones. What was Warren’s secret?
“Grain,” the trainer replied with a chuckle. “Food. He eats more a day than any horse I’ve ever had. He can handle 15 to 16 quarts. Sometimes you worry about him carrying a little too much, but he burns it off pretty good. And he’s perfect right now.”
Whatever Acclamation was eating before the Eddie Read at Del Mar on July 23 ought to be just about right. Going a distance shorter than he usually prefers, he cruised through a half in 48.56 seconds and blasted home to win by 3 1/4 lengths over the solid middle-distance athletes, Jeranimo and Caracortado.
“Maybe he’ll like the Poly as much as he liked the turf that day,” Warren said, referring to the synthetic surface. “When he worked the other day, he came home in 23 flat, so he was moving across it pretty good. I suppose we could have run him in the Del Mar Handicap on the grass the same day. But what the heck – we beat those horses already. Let’s try something different.”
While Acclamation is the best horse he’s ever handled as a trainer, Warren never has been too far away from a good one, although some of them were sold by Old English Rancho before they made their lasting marks, including stakes winners Journalism, Above Perfection, and Disturbingthepeace.
More recently, the trainer has been battling a bad back that has grounded him from galloping and made every step an adventure. Surgery to fuse four vertebrae gave Warren four fused vertebrae but little relief, although he’s not the kind of guy to complain.
“It must be congenital,” Warren said. “My dad’s an old horseman with a bad back, and he keeps apologizing for mine.”
“Don’t let him fool you,” said Buddy Johnston. “Don’s been in a lot of pain. But if we should win on Sunday, I think you’ll see him floating down to the track.”
Warren had other ideas, inspired by the centerpiece of the track’s Plaza del Mar.
“If he wins,” the trainer promised, “we’re all jumping in the fountain.”

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 10:14 am 

1 Game on Dude
2 Acclamation
3 Twirling Candy

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 3:30 pm 

the horse that intrigues me in this race is jeranimo. i'm gonna have to look into him a little more. stately victor is another possibility.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

LOL! Just when I thought I had ya figured out Bisket...you go and shake things up on me...I thought you were a Setsuko fan???

PostPosted: August 27th, 2011, 1:01 am 

treet setsuko is a definite for the tri. candy and the dude figures also. i'm looking for the longshot to throw in to make things interesting. most of the wagers will include setsuko, but statley and jeranimo are the ones that will make the tri worthwhile..

PostPosted: August 27th, 2011, 11:23 am 

I really wouldn't mind it if Setsuko wins this...he's been a hard luck sort of horse, maybe it'll come together for him on Sunday...just read a stroy on the connections of Tres Borrachos, wouldn't mind seeing him hit the board, Twirling Candy has been training like a monster...if he don't win this one, then I beleive they just need to sgorten him up a little, Game on Dude should also be right there, I just don't care for Chantal riding him, and I kinda like Mike Smith on Stately Victor, althouhg I don't think he'll win, he should be there at the wire, IMO. I thought jeranimo preferred a shorter route?

Twirling Candy

Setsuko

Game on Dude

Tres Borrachos

also...

Game On Dude

Twirling Candy

Acclimation

Setsuko

I miss First Dude :cry:

Gandalf the Grey

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 10:56 am 
Site Admin

**UPDATE**

Great Warrior(7) has been scratched in favor of the El Cajon Stakes (Sept. 2nd) or the Del Mar Derby(Sept. 4)

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next