It is currently November 19th, 2017, 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Eastern Maniacs...Beware...TAKE CARE
PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

We have desperately been following hurricane Irene as my Hubby's kids live in North Carolina which is now where it has been projected to hit...some experts say it might not actually make landfall until Long Island, New York...either way much of the East coast and eastern seabodr is projected to get pummeled with winds and rains and the latest images of it taken from space are just SCARY! They are now saying it could be leveated toa MAJOR hurricane so PLEASE take good care...stock up on food, water, batteries and some candles at the very least. Keep a watchful eye on children and elderly neighbors who may also need help if it comes to a full blown evacuation. If you have a place to evacuate to that is inland please consider doing so before the freeways and major roads clog too bad to flee. As always I worry about my Eastern friends when these nasty monsters blow towards them. We are worried about Hubby;s kids too! Make sure to keep extra pet food stocked as well and a full tank of gas in all cars. I know I sound like a worry wort but you can NEVER be too protected or stocked up for this kind of thing and after Hurricanes Andrew, Isabel, Floyd, Rita and Katrina (and SO many others) I just shake every year thinking about it and the potential damage they can cause. I was stranded on a boat in Mexico on my birthday as akid when one of the worst hurricane to hit the West Coast ever hit and we had to set 4 anchors and ride out the monstrous winds and waves because the Mexican Coast Guard told us that it was FAR too dangerous to try and make it into the cove for protection as we would have been throw on the rocks by teh violent seas. It was SCARY!!! We had to cut one of our anchor lines because the ferocity of the water and wind drug is so far that we couldn't even pull it up with the winch and it was pulling the bow of the boat. After what semed like forever the storm passed and we were able to get into the port but not without havign to spend abotu two weeks there repairing damages to the boat and replacing parts and supplies that we lost (new dinghy, oars, sails, etc). HUrricanes are terrfying and having just completed an Oceanography class where a large part of the class homework revlved around weather patterns and climate that can cause hurricanes and tropical storms I am now doubly fearful of them. The ferocity and speed with which they come is incredible and the violent nature of them and the destruction they can cause is just plain scary! PLEASE TAKE CARE EASTERN MANIACS....You are in my heart and prayers.

Post subject: Re: Eastern Maniacs...Beware...TAKE CARE
PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 3:18 pm 

hopefully everyone will be ok. this could be a terrible storm if it takes a path that run straight the megalopolis of washington, baltimore, philly, and newe york.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZm96PKw ... re=related

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

Take Good Care Bisket...I worry about all my eastern friends in the potential path of this one...saw some pictures of it from sp[ace and it is one terrifying bugger for sure!

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 3:49 pm 

saying prayers for the maniacs on the Eastern seaboard. My BFF lives near Southport, NC.....right on the beach. Hoping they make it through OK.....

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Swale,
Our kids live in Jacksonville (Camp LeJuene)...also on the coast......I am just praying for ALL that it fizzles out a bit before it makes landfall anywhere...our niece came up for a few days and although she is from Toronto, she flew here from Jamaica and I guess that area is currently getting hit right now. Praying for your BBF and EVERYONE who may be at risk of being in the hurricane path.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 7:18 pm 

Treet
I live on Long Island...may be a good time to go to Saratoga!

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

Or head back to Del Mar Fred!!! LOL! Saratoga sounds like rain is almost imminent this weekend.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 5:50 am 

AfleetTreet - I'm not a very knowledgeable person on this subject but I do recall if a hurricane has a large diameter and any irregularities in the shape of the cone it has a greater chance of breaking up sooner as opposed to gaining strength. This one is about 500 miles wide and I noticed some irregularities in the shape of the cone. Let's hope it diminishes and breaks up before it gets to far.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 8:23 am 

Hail
I will ask my daughter...she is a meteorologist.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 8:27 am 

I'll tell u what Treet...if u go I'll go...we will meet Kate and Mike at the track at 5 today.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 10:52 am 
Site Admin

Fred,
Are you kidding?? I would LOVE to go! Hubby is shipping out (AGAIN) very soon...OCtober 17th....so we're staying closer to home as he is soooooo busy getting ready to go....BUT If you DO flee the hurricane, you can fly to Seattle and we'll pal around Emerald Downs. It's not Del Mar but we have some pretty nifty things to go, see, do here as well and the view from Emerlad rivals Del Mar...Del Mar has the ocean...we have the VERY majestic Mount Rainier! LOL! The weather up here has been FABULOUS too! You can come hang with me! We never get hurricanes up here!

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 10:59 am 

No hurricanes - just the odd volcano now and then.:lol:

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 11:08 am 
Site Admin

LMAO!!! EVen that doesn't hurt us much...Mount St. Helens blew in 1980 and was Southeast of where I am...very little ash made it up this way at all...most hit eastern and southern Washington...we have a marine breeze that blows down through Puget Sound in the south sound area so the northern breezes push any weird stuff further south. Now if Mount Rainier blew, THAT would catastrophic for SO many and in my area it WOULD be bad because we are so close to the mountain. The lahar would be hundreds of feet deep and moving like wet cement at approximately 45 mph so ANYTHING in the valley that could not get to higher ground would be destroyed...Lucky for me I live on a big hill that is almost 1,000 feet above sea level. SO basically I would live on an island! LOL! Emerald Downs would not be as lucky....it sits directly in the lahar path, down low in the valley. Lucky for us (and them) the mountain has been VERY quiet for centuries and no rumblings down deep have been detected. The last eruption of Mt. Rainier (centuries ago) blew so much molten material out of it that it basically purged itself. It IS a super volcano though. We are pretty lucky up here in the Northwest...no poisoinous critters, no massive storm patterns (hurricanes, tornadoes, etc), pretty mellow weather in all seasons, and EVERGREEN! I love it up here!! It is beautiful and being in such close proximity to snow capped mountains (the Olympics and the Cascades), the ocean & Puget SOund, and having rivers and lakes in abundance is priceless to me! I guess I'll have to have a little discussion with Mother Natuer to ensure that she keeps that mountain quiet!

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 11:13 am 
Site Admin

(Courtesy of The Associated Press)

Transit in NYC, NJ, Pa. to halt because of Irene

AP
– 18 mins ago

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — Commuter transit systems in New York, New Jersey and outside Philadelphia will shut down services because of Hurricane Irene.
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo says public transportation in New York City will shut down at about noon on Saturday. According to the governor's office, the Metropolitan Transit Authority will institute a system-wide shutdown when subways and buses begin their final runs starting at approximately noon.
The shutdown will include the Long Island Rail Road, Metro-North Railroad and Access-A-Ride. The last complete shutdown of the system was for a 2005 strike.
New Jersey Transit trains also will stop running at noon Saturday. Gov. Chris Christie made the announcement during a briefing on the storm Friday.
In Philadelphia, Mayor Michael Nutter says mass transit in suburban Philadelphia will halt at 12:30 a.m. Sunday.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 11:20 am 
Site Admin

YIKES!!!!!

Supposed to hit Eastern North Carolina (possibly as a Category 4 hurricane with winds exceeding 100 mph) some time on Saturday and the proceed to move north from there.

We're terribly worried about the kids...they live not even a half an hour from the beaches in N.C......

:(

Attachments:
2011-08-26T143127Z_01_BTRE77P14CG00_RTROPTP_2_US-STORM-IRENE.jpg
2011-08-26T143127Z_01_BTRE77P14CG00_RTROPTP_2_US-STORM-IRENE.jpg [ 43.15 KiB | Viewed 8165 times ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next