It is currently January 18th, 2018, 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kensei Breaks down...euthanized :-(
PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

So sad! They had him listed on Stonestreet Farms as one of their stallions....It's too bad he never got a chance to retire and get there safely. I just hate it when they break down!
:-(

Rest In Peace Kensei

(Courtesy of Bloodhorse)

Grade II Winner Kensei Euthanized

By Blood-Horse Staff
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 4:50 PM

Grade II winner Kensei, a half brother to champion Lookin At Lucky, was euthanized Aug. 23 after breaking down during a gallop over the Belmont Park training track. Owned by Barbara Banke’s Stonestreet Stables and trained by Steve Asmussen, the Kentucky-bred 5-year-old son of Mr. Greeley out of the Belong to Me mare Private Feeling suffered a broken right front cannon bone.
Bred in Kentucky by Gulf Coast Farms, Kensei raced for Gulf Coast and Stonestreet until partway through this year.
Kensei earned $751,364 during his career. Starting 18 times he won five races and placed in six others.
Kensei attracted initial attention when he won at Saratoga at 2 in his debut. At 3 he captured the Dwyer Stakes (gr. II) and the Jim Dandy Stakes (gr. II) in consecutive starts and placed in the Jerome Handicap (gr. II), the Woody Stephens Stakes (gr. II), and the Derby Trial Stakes (gr. III). This year he won the Salvator Mile Stakes (gr. III) and ran second in two stakes including the Majestic Light Stakes at Monmouth Park July 31 in his last start. Lookin At Lucky was champion male at 2 and 3. He scored grade I wins in the 2010 Preakness Stakes and the IZOD Haskell Invitational Stakes the year of his 3-year-old championship.

Post subject: Re: Kensei Breaks down...euthanized :-(
PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

(Courtesy of BrisNet)

Kensei euthanized

Multiple Grade 2 hero KENSEI (Mr. Greeley) was euthanized on Tuesday after breaking

down during a gallop over the Belmont Park training track.

Owned by Stonestreet Stables and trained by Steve Asmussen, the five-year-old suffered a broken right front cannon bone and was euthanized by a private veterinarian.
Kensei earned $751,364 over the course of his career, with a record of 5-4-2 from 18 starts. The bay captured his maiden debut and immediately stepped up to face stakes competition. Among his black-type victories were the 2009 Dwyer S. (G2) at Belmont and Jim Dandy S. (G2) at Saratoga, and this season's Salvator Mile (G3). at Monmouth Park.

Kensei placed in six stakes during his time on the track, including the 2009 editions of the Woody Stephens S. (G2), Jerome H. (G2) and Derby Trial S. (G3).

Kensei's last win came in the Salvator Mile (Bill Denver/Equi-Photo)

Attachments:
kensei7-2bd1.jpg
kensei7-2bd1.jpg [ 35.88 KiB | Viewed 2705 times ]

Post subject: Re: Kensei Breaks down...euthanized :-(
PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 3:37 pm 

Just made me sick to read about this. I remember Jackson was so excited about the possibilities that lay ahead for this colt... this is way too sad. Jeeze.
:cry: R.I.P

Gandalf the Grey

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]