PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

(Courtesy of Thoroughbred Times)

Ultimate goal for Havre de Grace: Breeders’ Cup Classic

Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:24 PM

HAVRE DE GRACE
Oaklawn Park/Coady Photography
bySteve Bailey

Fox Hill Farms owner Rick Porter knows exactly how he would like to see the rest of the season play out for his Grade 1-winning filly Havre de Grace.

“We have two more starts before the Breeders’ Cup [World Championship],” Porter said on Tuesday. “I’d like to take on the boys in one of them, but I’d also like the more difficult of the two to be the first one.

“Then, I’m hoping that we run in the [Breeders’ Cup] Classic (G1). I’ve looked at all of the numbers, and I think my horse would match up well with just about anyone that would show up there.

“What I’d really like to see is Havre de Grace and Blind Luck taking on the boys in the Classic. I’m not sure what [Blind Luck’s connections] are thinking, but I think if both stay healthy it could happen.”

With three consecutive victories and a second by just a nose to 2010 champion three-year-old filly Blind Luck in the
Delaware Handicap (G2)
on July 16 at Delaware Park in her most recent start, Havre de Grace has thrust herself into the wide-open Horse of the Year discussion.

Her ongoing rivalry with Blind Luck continues to draw national attention and has become the most talked about on-track story of the year in a sport starving for something to get excited about since the retirement of mainstream media darling Zenyatta last year.

The two have met six times since July 2010 with Blind Luck winning three times and Havre de Grace twice. Blind Luck’s victories have come by a nose, a neck, and a nose while Havre de Grace has won by a neck and by 3 ¼ lengths.

The other meeting came in last year’s Breeders’ Cup Ladies’ Classic (G1), won by Unrivaled Belle with Blind Luck second and Havre de Grace third.

Porter has been thrilled with the development of his four-year-old Saint Liam filly this season and has watched with pride as the rivalry with Blind Luck has intensified and drawn more hype with each meeting.

“She’s really matured this season and become the horse we always thought she would be,” Porter said. “She’s come into her own as [trainer] Larry [Jones] has spent more time with her.

“You always want to see how you stack up against the best, especially when you think your horse is at the top of her game. Running against a horse like Blind Luck time after time lets you know exactly where you stand. It is pretty cool the way this rivalry has taken off this season.”

Porter said he and Jones are considering the $300,000 Personal Ensign Stakes (G1), a 1 ¼-mile race for fillies and mares on August 28, and the $750,000 Woodward Stakes (G1), a 1 1/8-mile race against open competition on September 3, for Havre de Grace’s next start. Both races are at Saratoga Race Course.

“It’s going to be one of those two races,” Porter said. “I want to get a better handle on what horses might be coming back from the Whitney [Handicap (G1) on August 6] before we make a final decision.”

Depending upon which race they choose, Porter said they then would consider the Jockey Club Gold Cup Stakes (G1) and Beldame Invitational Stakes (G1), both on October 1 at Belmont Park, or perhaps a start on Keeneland Race Course’s synthetic Polytrack surface in the Juddmonte Spinster Stakes (G1) on October 9 for Havre de Grace’s final Breeders’ Cup prep.

“I’m not too crazy about the synthetic race, but it is something we’ve talked about,” he said.

The Breeders’ Cup is the ultimate goal, however, and Porter said a showdown between Havre de Grace and Blind Luck in the Classic could play a significant role in determining who will be named Horse of the Year and give the 2011 racing season a defining moment.

“I know we’re both hoping to get it,” Porter said of Horse of the Year honors. “If either one of us or both is in position at Breeders’ Cup time, that is the kind of race and the kind of stage that can set you apart and make all the difference.

“There’s still a long way to go before we get to that point, but it’s fun to think about.”

Steve Bailey is deputy news editor of Thoroughbred Times

Post subject: Re: Havre De Grace hoping to go in the BC CLassic
PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 2:12 pm 

Correct me if I'm wrong but neither Blind Luck or Have de Grave are of the same talent as Zenyatta, Rachel Alexander or Goldikova who hung up Class Ratings of 125s and 126s. Here we have Blind Luck and Havre de Grace at the top of their respective F&M division but the C&G who will be running in the BC Classic have significantly higher performance numbers like Class Ratings of 125s and 126s as opposed to 122s and 123s for the top F&M like Blind Luck and Havre de Grace. I think Mr. Porter is getting away ahead of is nice filly again.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 3:24 am 

i honestly don't like the idea of this filly running against horses at 1 1/4 mile. a filly like grace will try her heart out to keep up with other runners. which is fine when she is racing against fellow fillies. i'm just afraid if she running against much physically stronger horses she might hurt herself.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 5:26 am 

bisket - These 2 outstanding fillies had a bang up race in the Delaware H. with a Class Rating of 123. We shouldn't lose the fact that Blind Luck has had 21 starts in her career and she can't keep going to the well real hard every time. Similarly, Havre de Grace seems to be better suited going 9 fur or less for her best effort. Now if you throw Tizway in the mix with a Class Rating of 126 in the Whitney and Flat Out had a 125 in the Suburban and the Whitney you can see just what kind of an effort these fillies will have to make to beat these colts at 10 fur. I remember horses like Zenyatta, Rachel Alexander and Goldlikova hanging up Class Rating numbers like 126s and 125s but neither Blind Luck or Havre de Grace have done that. I just hope the connections to these 2 fillies place them in the best possible spot to succeed.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 5:54 am 

HTR, you're spot on. There is a reason that HDG didn't hold on the Delaware H. I don't think she's a 10F horse, and I don't want either of these fillies in the BCC either. BL can at least get the distance, but she is such a little filly that I wouldn't put her in there with the boys.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 9:02 am 

I ABSOLUTLEY AGREE NEITHER OF THESE FILLIES ARE STRONG ENOUGH TO BEAT THE MALES IN THE BC

NOW THIS TIME ITS TO MEN LOOKING FOR FAME INSTEAD OF MAKING THE RIGHT DECISIONS

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 9:03 am 

Swale1984 - I agree with you. If I were the trainer of Havre de Grace I would stick with 9 fur F&M where she would shine. Also, if I was the trainer of Blind Luck, who can win at a mile and a quarter, I would nominate to both the Classic and F&M and see who goes in the Classic. If I'm confident there is only one horse to beat I would put her in the Classic on the other hand if there is two or more really tough horses with big numbers I would go in the F&M. I recall an old saying "if there is only one horse to beat enter the race". That's how Dare N' Go beat Cigar as he was better than all but Cigar and they took a chance Cigar may not like the track or feel like running that day.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 9:11 am 

I don't think there will be any Blame's in this year's Classic.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 9:12 am 

Blind luck race will be the classic - she is the top horse in the U.S, as of right now - distance is not a problem and Havre De grace is not either. Like the past 2 years the males who are set to run in the classic are not of the same class as these two girls.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 9:38 am 

If HDG is there, BL better be there too!

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 12:27 pm 

OMG THINKING BLIND LUCK IS THE TOP US HORSE IS A JOKE

I GOT 25 DOLLARS SAY SHE DOESNT PLACE TOP 3 IN THE CLASSIC

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 12:36 pm 

of the horse who are now listed as possible on 4 are 1005 in the money for the yeaar 2 boy and 2 girls. --And I thought you did not read what I had to say looks like you do.

Twirling Candy
Close Twirling CandyTrainer: John W. Sadler Jockey: Joel Rosario Owner(s): Craig Family Trust, Farish, William S. and Wygod, Martin J. Breeder: Sidney H. Craig & Jenny Craig 2011 Record: (4-2-0-1)
2011 Earnings: $285,000
2011 Win %: 50%
2011 In-The-Money %: 75%
Game On Dude
Close Game On DudeTrainer: Bob Baffert Jockey: Chantal Sutherland Owner(s): Joe Torre's Diamond Pride Stable, Lanni Family Trust, Mercedes Stable LLC and Schiappa, Berna Breeder: Adena Springs 2011 Record: (5-2-2-1)
2011 Earnings: $807,400
2011 Win %: 40%
2011 In-The-Money %: 100%
Blind Luck
Close Blind LuckTrainer: Jerry Hollendorfer Jockey: Garrett K. Gomez Owner(s): Mark DeDomenico LLC, Carver, John, Abruzzo, Peter and Hollendorfer, Jerry Breeder: Fairlawn Farm 2011 Record: (6-3-3-0)
2011 Earnings: $890,808
Havre de Grace
Close Havre de GraceTrainer: J. Larry Jones Jockey: Gabriel Saez Owner(s): Fox Hill Farms, Inc. Breeder: Nancy S Dillman 2011 Record: (4-3-1-0)
2011 Earnings: $663,000
2011 Win %: 75%
Flat Out
Close Flat OutTrainer: Charles L. Dickey Jockey: Alex O. Solis Owner(s): Preston Stables LLC Breeder: Nikolaus Bock 2011 Record: (4-1-2-0)
2011 Earnings: $392,613
2011 Win %: 25%
2011 In-The-Money %: 75%
Shackleford
Close ShacklefordTrainer: Dale Romans Jockey: Jesus Castanon Owner(s): Mike Lauffer and Bill Cubbedge Breeder: Mike Lauffer and Bill Cubbedge 2011 Record: (7-2-2-0)
2011 Earnings: $1,666,300
2011 Win %: 29%
2011 In-The-Money %: 57%
Stay Thirsty
Close Stay ThirstyTrainer: Todd Pletcher Jockey: Javier Castellano Owner(s): Repole Stable Breeder: John D. Gunther 2011 Record: (5-2-1-0)
2011 Earnings: $650,000
2011 Win %: 40%
2011 In-The-Money %: 60%
Giant Oak
Close Giant OakTrainer: Chris Block Jockey: Shaun Bridgmohan Owner(s): Virginia H. Tarra Trust Breeder: Virginia H. Tarra Trust 2011 Record: (5-1-0-2)
2011 Earnings: $411,152
2011 Win %: 20%
Friend or Foe
Close Friend or FoeTrainer: John Kimmel Jockey: Jose Lezcano Owner(s): Chester and Mary R. Broman Breeder: Chester and Mary R. Broman 2011 Record: (2-1-0-0)
2011 Earnings: $73,500
2011 In-The-Money %: 50%
WinnersRetired First Dude
Hollywood Gold Cup

Close First DudeTrainer: Bob Baffert Jockey: Martin Garcia Owner(s): Donald R. Dizney Breeder: Donald R Dizney Hollywood Gold Cup Winner
2011 Record: (5-3-0-0)
2011 Earnings: $581,980
2011 Win %: 60%
Retired on July 25, 2011 due to injury.
Coil
Resorts Haskell Invitational

Close CoilTrainer: Bob Baffert Jockey: Martin Garcia Owner(s): Watson, Karl, Pegram, Michael E. and Weitman, Paul Breeder: Glen Hill Farm Resorts Haskell Invitational Winner
2011 Record: (4-3-1-0)
2011 Earnings: $721,200
2011 Win %: 75%
Tizway
The Whitney Handicap

Close TizwayTrainer: H. James Bond Jockey: Rajiv Maragh Owner(s): William L. Clifton, Jr. Breeder: Whisper Hill Farm The Whitney Handicap Winner
2011 Record: (4-2-0-2)
2011 Earnings: $1,359,274
?
TVG Pacific Classic
?
Jockey Club Gold Cup
?
Goodwood Stakes

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 12:40 pm 

also you aways have $25 I have post what I think and have heard other make the same comment -- I see her in the classic and Have de grace in the ladies classic. can she win -will I am not as strong on her as I was Zen but no other lood as good, we will know in 80 days

Last edited by BigDonOKC on August 17th, 2011, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 12:40 pm 

I LOOK ON OCCASION MORE OFTEN THAN NOT I CHOOSE NOT TO RESPOND

RACES WON OR MONEY EARNED UNFORTUNETLEY DOESNT MAKE THEM THE TOP RUNNER IN THE US AND IF YOU ARE SO CONFIDENT THEN TAKE THE BET

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 12:47 pm 

first off why bet you stright up $25.00 when I can hit something with it that is a lot bigger. but you seem to think you such a big player at $25.00 like I said last year make it $100.00 send it to oso to hold and i will do the same when she tell me your money is there. I don't play on credit and would not think other do.

Page 1 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next