It is currently November 19th, 2017, 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Social Media In The World Of Horse Racing - The Good and the
PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 6:06 am 

http://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Social_Media_In_The_World_Of_Horse_Racing_The_Good_and_Bad_123

The sport of horse racing like the world at large, is evolving. It seems as if every year (or every day, for that matter), someone is inventing or introducing us to something that will better our sport and or our lives.

Over the years, the evolution of technology has definitely affected the sport of horse racing for the good. You can look back in history and find some of the wonderful marvels technology has brought our sport. Whether it's Clay Puett's creation of the first ever electronic starting gate, or George Julius's invention of the Totalizator ( Tote Board), the history is there.

Over the decades Americans have turned to horse racing as an escape in times of despair. Seabiscuit was a hero with a cult like following during the depression. Citation was an inspiration during World War II. Secretariat made us feel good in a time when Vietnam had us all down. And when our eyes were blackened and our hearts were broken after 9/11, Tiznow won the Breeders' Cup Classic for America.

With invention and evolution comes responsibility, and with any new endeavor comes excitement and freedom.These freedoms must not be taken lightly or abused.

Maybe the biggest evolution in technology in the sport (and the world in general),has been the introduction of social media and social media websites. In the past, a horse racing fan was forced to read papers and listen to the radio to get the scoop on their favorite horses.Now we're in the Facebook age, one can comment on a race literally moments after it's been run.Facebook has also introduced horse racing fans around the world to each other..This is something that this sport has needed for years.

The social media outlets – Facebook and Twitter – have given the common fan a voice and they've also given the fan a chance to talk to and get to know the stars of our sport via the internet. These platforms have already helped grow the horse racing fan base and will continue to do so in the future. But it's something we must be careful with.

Social media sites have lead racing fans to participate in discussions that have sometimes turned vitrolic. Often, these discussions evolve into side arguments that have been made time and again, which have nothing to do with the actual topic. This is not something a potential fan will find appealing, and new fans are hard to cultivate because of the bad publicity the sport continuously receives.

A perfect example of this is the ZenyattaRachel Alexandra- debate. Zealots among the two fan bases of the two great fillies often hijacked discussions having nothing to do with either and turned them into a who's better debate. It often got very personal and quite ugly. We look no further then some of the recent political debate between some of the competing factions on both sides of the isle to see what effect such rancor can have on the fragments in the middle.

I bring this issue to the forefront because of the reaction to an article Brian Zipse wrote about Goldikova's quest to be the greatest of grade I winners. Brian just showed statistically that Goldi has a chance to have more grade I or group I wins then any other horse in the grades stakes era. Immediately, this article turned into a debate on Facebook, Zenyatta Vs Goldikova,who was the greater mare?

Any article or blog that praises another horse now a days is subject to being taken over by Zenyatta's many passionate fan. Z's legacy is enormous and what she's done for the sport is something we'll never be able to measure. I fully appreciate Zenyatta's incredible contribution to the sport, and in fact I wrote an article about my feelings towards Zenyatta after last years Breeders' Cup.

No one's indifferent about Zenyatta.There are as many people out there that are ready to call her out (unfairly), as there are people that think she's the greatest horse to ever breathe air. Zenyatta will go down as one of the greats of horse racing, as well she should. And I think she'll be remembered in the ranks of Seabiscuit, Secretariat, and Seattle Slew, and all the other greats of the sport.

The problem is, these people that so badly want to defend her greatness and constantly want to debate her with any current horse in racing,actually end up hurting her legacy. Some new fans just introduced to this sport this year, could associate Zenyatta with all these terrible debates and personal attacks made on the social media sites, which is sad. Zenyatta will never be duplicated on the track and her personality will last in my memory forever.

Let's take a step back, take a breath, and allow our new fans to experience the great things about this sport. Let them enjoy the stars of today without comparing and debating with the stars of yesterday.

Discussion is fine, these social media outlets let us express our opinions in a way the common fan has never been able to. But we must use this incredible innovation for the betterment of our sport, and not get bogged down in superfluous random arguments.

Post subject: Re: Social Media In The World Of Horse Racing - The Good and
PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 9:48 am 

Good article, though I have to question the writer's knowledge of history. Because WWII was definitely over when Citation hit the track. Perhaps they meant Count Fleet?

I agree though that Zenyatta fans can get annoying at times with their need to prove that she is the best. Why can't everyone just accept that this is an era of exceptional fillies and mares when the colts just can't seem to take the pressure. Zen, RA, and Goldi each have a unique set of accomplishments and should be honored thus, instead of this "blah is better than blah so there!"

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 9:56 am 

Ta Wee wrote:
Good article, though I have to question the writer's knowledge of history. Because WWII was definitely over when Citation hit the track. Perhaps they meant Count Fleet?

I agree though that Zenyatta fans can get annoying at times with their need to prove that she is the best. Why can't everyone just accept that this is an era of exceptional fillies and mares when the colts just can't seem to take the pressure. Zen, RA, and Goldi each have a unique set of accomplishments and should be honored thus, instead of this "blah is better than blah so there!"

100% agreed. Couldnt have said it better myself but at the same time wouldnt have said it at all, considering the Zen religion on this site.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

AAF,
I am on this site (only) and I don't have a Zen religion....DO I love her?? YES! DO I love Lava Man? YES!! Do I love Lawyer ROn? Afleet Alex? Invasor? Stormello? ROck Hard Ten? Blind Luck? Havre De Grace? Rachel Alexandra? Ghostzapper? Roses In May? Goldikova? Frankel? Makybe Diva? Black Caviar? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! I resent that you would make accusations about this entire site and the people here when that isn't the case. The FACT is I like/love ALL the horses and sure don't need people coming here to stir up drama. Aren't there enough sites that are "anti-Zen" religion to do that on?? Why here? I know you have plenty of other good stuff and insightful things to lend to a conversation so why say that when you know it will only stir up dust.

The FACT is fans on ALL sides can get fanatical in their devotion....not only Zen...not only Rachel....or any other horse to look through a bridle and step onto the track.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 12:22 pm 

Ta Wee wrote:

Did anyone here see this post. lol Yes A.T. I know aaf is the only one that posted after this article was put up, lol

WOW.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

AAF,
First of all I am not trying to provoke any sort of argument with you. I was lending my interpretation alone of what you said. I didn't indicate you were the only one that had posted and agree that ANY "horse religion" can get a bit fanatical. This site is HORSE RACING mania not Zenyatta mania...if at times it got fanatical about Zenyatta, Rachel, Lava Man, Secretariat or any other horse then so be it. That's horse racing. Hell, I am a fanatic about Awesome Gem! Is he a champion of the highest caliber? Probab;y not but that is okay because it is MY devotion and no one elese's. If you had read what I said I was lending my perspective to what you wrote. I don't follow any religion when it comes to horses...I follow the religion of horse racing, plain and simple. If you could have read my post objectively (like you used to be able to) instead of going on the defensive and assuming I said it to attack you in any way (which I didn't), you would have read what I wrote and understood my meaning behind it. Besides just reading the entire thread (which include what you wrote) I also read what Ta Wee wrote:

Quote:
Why can't everyone just accept that this is an era of exceptional fillies and mares when the colts just can't seem to take the pressure. Zen, RA, and Goldi each have a unique set of accomplishments and should be honored thus, instead of this "blah is better than blah so there!"

I agree with her 100%. So what if someone idealizes Zenyatta, Rachel Alexandra, Havre De Grace, Blind Luck, or any of the other milliions of race horses out there. My only question about that is why do others feel the need to constantly talk those people out of whatever "horse religion" they chose to follow. It is simply like anything else...if I am a Seattle Seahawks fan then anyone who is a Pittsburgh Steelers fan is simply NOT going to talk me out of it by suggestion the games they didnt' win, the competition they beat, the places they traveled or whatever. The fact is they will be Steelers fans and I will be a Seahawks fan. It should be no different in horse racing and everyone sho7uld be allowed to be comfortable following whatever horse they wish to follow withouth feeling the need to defend their faith in that horse or without someone deeming that they are misguided for doing so. Hell, Lava Man never won outside of CA but the FACT is he is perhaps one of the greatest CA breds ever to run, he WILL go down in the history books as great, and he is the greatest claimed horse of all time. Does that make him good or does that make him bad...well that is up to you and I to decide in our hearts independently and not for either of us to deny or dissuade the other into our own beliefs and feelings about him or any other horse (or ANYTHING) that the other has faith in. It is our choice.

My point was imply that I am on this site only and I don't follow a Zen Religion...do I love her YES absolutely but I love Awesome Gem too...and so many others who either won or lost and would be here all day trying to list them all. At the end of the day what does it matter...my point was solely WHY did you have to attempt to "label" this entire site as being that of Zen worship? Because the proof is in the pudding that many here follow many horses and some like me, actually follow Zen, Rachel, Golid, and so many others without the need to place a bias on it. Horses are what make this sport and they are whaty I love first and foremost.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 1:12 pm 

afleetalexforever wrote:
Ta Wee wrote:

Did anyone here see this post. lol Yes A.T. I know aaf is the only one that posted after this article was put up, lol

WOW.

THAT IS BECAUSE SOME HAVE OTHER BLOCK SO THEY CAN READ WHAT THEY SAY -- ITS A GROUPIE THING FULL OF HATE -- iT IS A SHAME FOR SOME PEOPLE DO HAVE GOOD COMMENTS NOW AN THEN AND NO LONGER POST.-

PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 3:32 am 

I have seen a lot more fanatacism surrounding Zenyatta than any other horse for some time, here and elsewhere. For instance, the Breeders' Cup page on Facebook put up a poll question to decide on 12 horses to include on the upcoming calendar. I saw a number of people say ridiculous things like "just put Zenyatta on all twelve months, as she is the greatest horse to ever live!" Crap like that! I like Zenyatta, but I do not believe her to be the greatest horse to ever live. In my eyes she barely makes it in to the list of greatest. I still find many of her matchups questionable. I have said it before.....it's easy to win against horses that are not at the same level of competition. I'd say a handful of her races are impressive. The Classic being the top one.

I do not question anyone's love of a horse, but I do question their ability to see reality and see the facts for what they are.

I love Havre de Grace, and have since the first time I laid eyes on her in 2008, but if someone were to have a discussion/debate with me about her accomplishments and call them into question, I sure as hell wouldn't argue with information that is factual. I see this type of thing happen regularly when people discuss Zenyatta.

I did not see anything wrong with AAF's statement about Zen religion. I have seen it myself. Not necessarily from you Treet, but it's there.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 5:25 am 

Keltic,
There will always be disagreements about which horse is better and I do recognize there are zealots who defend their favorite to the death. But it all starts with disparagement and criticism. I know AAF is someone whom you like and admire and that is certainly within your right to feel that way. But he is a polarizing figure, having dismissed Zenyatta, her trainer, her owners and jockey since she 1st burst on the scene. I don't disagree that there is a basis for questioning where some of her competition was but to even begin to call into her greatness is pretty illogical. Horses don't win 19 in a row, almost all of which were in graded stakes, let alone have a mare enter 3 consecutive BC races, winning 2 or them and coming up a head short in her final race. It is hardly Zenyatta's fault that most good/great runners didn't want to face her. Even Jerry Hollendorfer admitted he sent his great filly East rather than face Zenyatta. And where was all that supposed competition for last year's Apple Blossom? If her competition was so suspect, why hasn't any other TB done what she accomplished? And, please, don't bring up Pepper's Pride, that is the most baseless comparison there ever was.
As for HDG and BL, this is a tremendous rivalry and racing is missing the boat to not get national TV coverage when they face one another. But I also feel neither of these horses has yet achieved what Zenyatta did in her career. A filly with only one G1 to her credit doesn't warrant a comparison to Zenyatta yet.
AAF's complaint that this website is peopled with those caught up in a Zenyatta religion is just a further attempt by him to ridicule those who loved her and what she bought to racing. Even you calling it "crap" that someone would feel Zenyatta should be featured in all 12 months of a calendar is a condemnation, although I would disagree with that assertion. There are plenty of horses in the last 5 years who should be included, including Curlin and RA. Finally, would you like it if your feelings about HDG were dismissed as religious zealotry? I doubt it.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 5:57 am 

I don't know why I waste my time here. Sorry Treet. I keep trying, but it is to no avail. People can't read and understand anything here. I'm done. I remain your friend, but no longer feel the need to waste my time here. Thanks!! I love you and appreciate you, but I am tired of trying to explain everything to people who don't have the thought process or intelligence to comprehend what was written and also insult me by insinuating that I can't come to my own conclusions about something without AAF's help. That is bullshit!!!

Your friend,

Deb

P.S. oso, I never compared HdG to Zenyatta. You are an idiot. I was pointing out that my love for her would not blind me to factual discussion about exactly what you said. She has not proven herself yet and I would never argue that point. Just because I mentioned her in the same discussion as Zenyatta, you take that to mean something totally different than it did. You are a Zenyatta zealot and prove it every time she is mentioned. You don't even bother to read anything else and think about it before you respond. You take everything as an insult to her. Go to HELL and do not bring my name into your problem with AAF. I have nothing to do with your problem with him.

Thanks again Treet for your understanding and good nature. Sorry.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 6:13 am 

Is there a religious cult out there who requites people to worship Zen? I remember the story about Moses and the golden cow -- There shall be no other great Horse other than Zen.

They even have Zen ideals they cost about $50.00 and look real great - so much better than the R A ideals which cost about $35.00

But I worship but one horse Smarty Jones -

Give me a breake people who worship horses – it far better than those who worship aaf

PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 6:15 am 

keltic wrote:
I have seen a lot more fanatacism surrounding Zenyatta than any other horse for some time, here and elsewhere. For instance, the Breeders' Cup page on Facebook put up a poll question to decide on 12 horses to include on the upcoming calendar. I saw a number of people say ridiculous things like "just put Zenyatta on all twelve months, as she is the greatest horse to ever live!" Crap like that! I like Zenyatta, but I do not believe her to be the greatest horse to ever live. In my eyes she barely makes it in to the list of greatest. I still find many of her matchups questionable. I have said it before.....it's easy to win against horses that are not at the same level of competition. I'd say a handful of her races are impressive. The Classic being the top one.

I do not question anyone's love of a horse, but I do question their ability to see reality and see the facts for what they are.

I love Havre de Grace, and have since the first time I laid eyes on her in 2008, but if someone were to have a discussion/debate with me about her accomplishments and call them into question, I sure as hell wouldn't argue with information that is factual. I see this type of thing happen regularly when people discuss Zenyatta.

I did not see anything wrong with AAF's statement about Zen religion. I have seen it myself. Not necessarily from you Treet, but it's there.

I would have to agree Keltic, there is a difference between reality and delusion regarding the mare and her short list of accomplishments. I’ve been on sites before where I’ve asked people to list her top 5 wins with regard to national or international recognition and the 2 BC’s are basically all that is covered. People don’t want to bring up running in the same races over and over again, its taken some time for the dust to settle but on numerous websites it has become apparent that people now see that when comparing Zenyatta to a horse like Curlin or Invasor or even Ghostzapper who most likely beat one of the most stellar BC Classic fields of all time that she comes up short, not fault of her own but that of her owners. People make mistakes and Jerry Moss chasing Pepper’s Pride’s record can now be considered 1 of the most mistake riddled decisions ever. Instead of chasing Greatness and actually stepping up in class it was all about getting to 20 wins. A feat that was met with failure in the last race of her career. Interestingly some of those same people that came to the defense of the Moss’s previously have turned their backs and are now calling them Cowards, because well basically either they were cowards or Zenyatta really couldn’t stay in peak form for more than 30 or 60 days. To hear her most ardent fans state now that they feel slighted due to her not running in California’s premier races is eye opening. To hear her most ardent fans feel frustration that she wasn’t placed in turf races like the Arlington Million where some felt she would thrive on Turf or be taken over to Dubai to run in the Tapeata surfaced DWC or even the Arc gives indication that just as with the hoopla that surrounded her winning the BCC in 09 when the dust settles at least for some reality sets in. I’ve always said that as an athlete my take is vastly different from some. When you are good enough to take on the best at the next or the highest level you do so, and you do so on a consistent basis to be able to let others get a gauge on greatness. Horses like Ouiji Board, Zarkava, Makybe diva, Rachel Alexandra, Black Cavier and Goldikova are prime examples. Could you imagine the lack of interest in Goldikova with only BC Mile wins on her resume? People at times ignore her now but a horse that can run against males but stays in company of females and beats them easily all year long and comes over and wins the BC race is a 1 race per year wonder. The best face the best, and we talk about a missed opportunity with NTRA and their resources, the missed opportunity of never seeing the best horse to run in Cali in a long time never entering the starting gate of the SA Handicap, HWGC, Pac Classic or Goodwood. And its more than that, was never ever under consideration for any of those races because from Jan1 of each year the rest of the races needed to be as easy as possible to allow the horse to be fit for the BC was abysmal. I will give the connections of both HDG and BL credit at least they are seriously considering races against males. And believe me I will say that for BL in my view with a win in the Pac Classic she would move up to the top of the heap in the hunt for HOY and be to me the most impressive filly or mare run in Cali in a long time. Just my take. Can’t say it too loud though, differing opinions are not welcome certain places.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 6:23 am 

keltic wrote:
I don't know why I waste my time here. Sorry Treet. I keep trying, but it is to no avail. People can't read and understand anything here. I'm done. I remain your friend, but no longer feel the need to waste my time here. Thanks!! I love you and appreciate you, but I am tired of trying to explain everything to people who don't have the thought process or intelligence to comprehend what was written and also insult me by insinuating that I can't come to my own conclusions about something without AAF's help. That is bullshit!!!

Your friend,

Deb

P.S. oso, I never compared HdG to Zenyatta. You are an idiot. I was pointing out that my love for her would not blind me to factual discussion about exactly what you said. She has not proven herself yet and I would never argue that point. Just because I mentioned her in the same discussion as Zenyatta, you take that to mean something totally different than it did. You are a Zenyatta zealot and prove it every time she is mentioned. You don't even bother to read anything else and think about it before you respond. You take everything as an insult to her. Go to HELL and do not bring my name into your problem with AAF. I have nothing to do with your problem with him.

Thanks again Treet for your understanding and good nature. Sorry.

Wow, are you AAF's sister? Nice balanced reaction.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 6:26 am 

BigDonOKC wrote:
Is there a religious cult out there who requites people to worship Zen? I remember the story about Moses and the golden cow -- There shall be no other great Horse other than Zen.

They even have Zen ideals they cost about $50.00 and look real great - so much better than the R A ideals which cost about $35.00

But I worship but one horse Smarty Jones -

Give me a breake people who worship horses – it far better than those who worship aaf

I don't know if there are too many people who worship AAF but it is pretty clear Keltic does. Nice.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 6:46 am 

Remember this

oso7 Post subject: Re: $300 Clement L. Hirsch~Gr1, F&M, 3&Up, 1 1/16M (Aug 6th)Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:05 pm

Report this postReply with quote

AAF,
Hard to ignore an outright lie by you. You can post whatever you want about your hatred of everything and anything in CA, I'm not going to respond any longer. But don't tell a lie about me or I will flatten that immense head of yours. I DID NOT follow you to TVG. You know it full well why I posted there. You accused Lefty of being me. More than one person who posts here saw it and sent me the link. So that is why I went there. Not to track you down, not to search for you in the hinterlands but because you, and you alone, brought me up over there. Wrongly and falsely, of course, but what else is new with you?

Are you too obsessed to follow your own thought process to not respond any longer, how long did that last?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next