It is currently November 19th, 2017, 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Opportunity Missed
PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 9:05 am 

http://afleetalexforever.blogspot.com/2011/08/simply-put-opportunity-missed.html

Will this continue to be the statement made regarding horse racing? Will the leaders that govern the game of horse racing continue to drop the ball? The spectacle that is The Triple Crown, The Breeders Cup, in America at least seem to be so far removed from the reality of the way that this great sport should be treated. Curlin Vs Big Brown, Rachel Alexandra Vs Zenyatta, and now Havre De Grace vs. Blind Luck. Rivalries that either never materialized on the track or while being contested on the track have gone virtually unheard and ignored by the National Thoroughbred Racing Association.

Cont'

Post subject: Re: Opportunity Missed
PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

Your article was well written AAF...I just have to ask because I myself am curious...you call it an opportunity missed and reference past potential "match ups" among horses where retirment, injury or whatever was largley the reason the match never came to fruition. Since Havre De Grace and Blind Luck are still both running it would seem that neither of their careers are over yet so there is still the opportunity to do so. If they created a race for Uncle Mo then they can certainly created a race for HDG abd BL right? Why only the Beldame or PE? In all fairness, if it were to be a true and fair matchup then BOTH horses would have to ship to a neutral track (let's say Lone Star Park for example) and run over a track neither was familiar with to even the score. Wouldn't you say that would be a fair way to tackle it? I am not saying anything in favor of either side since I really like both but I think that both sides should have to "meet in the middle" and compromise. Both sides have their misgivings or stipulations right now but if a race was created for the girls then both sides would basically have what they are asking for in the way of a match up, a decent purse, equal weights, etc. The way I read you article I took it to mean that it has been a mwasted opportunity to get these two girls together...since they have met before it is just ONE missed opportunity. I agree with you about buffering the sport with such a matchup but neither of their careers are over yet so maybe the missed opportunity has yet to come to fruition. Just my two cents and I am curious to hear what you have to say about it.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 12:47 pm 

afleetalexforever wrote:
http://afleetalexforever.blogspot.com/2011/08/simply-put-opportunity-missed.html

Will this continue to be the statement made regarding horse racing? Will the leaders that govern the game of horse racing continue to drop the ball? The spectacle that is The Triple Crown, The Breeders Cup, in America at least seem to be so far removed from the reality of the way that this great sport should be treated. Curlin Vs Big Brown, Rachel Alexandra Vs Zenyatta, and now Havre De Grace vs. Blind Luck. Rivalries that either never materialized on the track or while being contested on the track have gone virtually unheard and ignored by the National Thoroughbred Racing Association.

Cont'

ONLY BY PEOPLE WHO FIND THE NEED TO TRY TO GET SOMETHING GOING BETWEEN ONLY TWO HORSES -- THERE ARE 14 HORSES IN THE bcc THESE TWO GIRLS ARE LISTED AS POSSIBLES IF WHAT HER NAME CONECTION THINK THEY CAN OUT RUNbLIND LUCK THEY WILL HAVE TO BE IN THAT RACE IF NOT END OF STORY LINE.:D

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 1:16 pm 

AfleetTreet wrote:
Your article was well written AAF...I just have to ask because I myself am curious...you call it an opportunity missed and reference past potential "match ups" among horses where retirment, injury or whatever was largley the reason the match never came to fruition. Since Havre De Grace and Blind Luck are still both running it would seem that neither of their careers are over yet so there is still the opportunity to do so. If they created a race for Uncle Mo then they can certainly created a race for HDG abd BL right? Why only the Beldame or PE? In all fairness, if it were to be a true and fair matchup then BOTH horses would have to ship to a neutral track (let's say Lone Star Park for example) and run over a track neither was familiar with to even the score. Wouldn't you say that would be a fair way to tackle it? I am not saying anything in favor of either side since I really like both but I think that both sides should have to "meet in the middle" and compromise. Both sides have their misgivings or stipulations right now but if a race was created for the girls then both sides would basically have what they are asking for in the way of a match up, a decent purse, equal weights, etc. The way I read you article I took it to mean that it has been a mwasted opportunity to get these two girls together...since they have met before it is just ONE missed opportunity. I agree with you about buffering the sport with such a matchup but neither of their careers are over yet so maybe the missed opportunity has yet to come to fruition. Just my two cents and I am curious to hear what you have to say about it.

Good question Treet, its not really about whats going on within the next 4 months. Its about the forward planning or the thought process going into this year. everyone knew the big girls were no longer running and that racing would need something to use as foundation for the 2011 season and uncle mo was it to an extent. Possibly why the girls went with acknowledgement. I think that its more about flat out exposure than a specific race. And the lack of buzz by the ntra and almost anyone is mind boggling. they were allowed to bump into each other in the azeri, but what did anyone do to promote it. They met again in the Del Cap and other than hardcore horse racing fans and sites, the powers that be let that matchup go off without a marketing dollar spent to spruce up the match up. Its a rivalry that has those of us that are close to the industry on the edge of our seats, but how many in main stream america know of either, barely any. The point of the article is that we have a rivalry and the ntra and others are HO HUM about these two, and if you look at the website that they put up to publicize the match up, you'd have thought a junior high kid put that together. I've been designing websites since i was about 15 and i've never seen anything so bland and embarrassing on the national scale then that site, where are the video links, the interview links the links to equisight and the workouts with the cameras. Its just they have ignored these two incredible creatures and then want to yell "where are the fans and the money" well they are probably watching nascar.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 1:19 pm 

BigDonOKC wrote:
afleetalexforever wrote:

Cont'

ONLY BY PEOPLE WHO FIND THE NEED TO TRY TO GET SOMETHING GOING BETWEEN ONLY TWO HORSES -- THERE ARE 14 HORSES IN THE bcc THESE TWO GIRLS ARE LISTED AS POSSIBLES IF WHAT HER NAME CONECTION THINK THEY CAN OUT RUNbLIND LUCK THEY WILL HAVE TO BE IN THAT RACE IF NOT END OF STORY LINE.:D

This really has nothing to do with the article, you might want to read it again. its not about getting something going, its already going, but it needs to be on national television so that people can be drawn to the two fillies. Are you confused by what was stated, if so ask questions and dont just make statements that have nothing to do with the article.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 1:35 pm 

afleetalexforever wrote:
BigDonOKC wrote:
afleetalexforever wrote:

Cont'

This really has nothing to do with the article, you might want to read it again. its not about getting something going, its already going, but it needs to be on national television so that people can be drawn to the two fillies. Are you confused by what was stated, if so ask questions and dont just make statements that have nothing to do with the article.

YOU ASK THE QUESTION NOT I - ---I SEE NO REASON TO TRY TO GET A TWO HORSE RACE IN THE BCC - LIKE ISAID THERE ARE 12 OTHER IN THE RACE --

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

AAF,
SAdly there is a "lack of buzz" in this entire industry and has been for far too long! This is certainly NOT the first missed opportunity...I am sure we'll be talking about another missed opportunity in the future. Hence WHY HRM ever started...now if I can just get that new site up and running, I'll show the powers that be how to pump up a horse race! Not that I can offer purse money and copnditions for a race but I have all the passion in the world to promote the Hell out of it! *Sigh*...at least I hope so....someday maybe....

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 1:51 pm 

TREET THER IS NO BUZZ NEED - JUST MORE RACING ON TV - THAT ALL IT TAKES

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

Iagree Big D.!! And not just cable TV...NETWORK TV! No more bypassing racing in favor of little league T-Ball or beach volleyball or log rolling! Sheesh!

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 2:12 pm 

i SAW A GOOD GIRL GO DOWN BECAUSE OF A MATCH RACE -- THERE IS NO REASON ANY HORSE SHOULD HAVE TO BE PUT IN THAT TYPE OF RACE.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

Looks liek MAYBE a rematch is coming! Then again I have to agree the promotion of it surely won't be what it should be to generate true buzz like it should. Perhaps I should order trinkets for the BC that highlight it?? Half would say Go Blind Luck...the other half would say Go HAvre De Grace! Buttons? Pens? Key chains? Hmmmmmmmmm. I'll have to mull it over and get my finances in order to be able to order more stuff! Sheesh! At this rate I am going to need one whole suitcase just for the trinkets! LOL! WHat else is new?

(Courtesy of Bloodhorse)

Blind Luck, Havre de Grace to Clash Again?

ByBlood-Horse Staff

Posted: Tuesday, August 9, 2011 1:30 PM

Photo: Hoofprints, Inc

Blind Luck (left) and Havre de Grace could meet again in the Personal Ensign.

The $300,000 Personal Ensign (gr. I) Aug. 28 at Saratoga remains a realistic possibility for rivals
Blind Luck
and
Havre de Grace
to meet again.

Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer, who will be inducted into racing’s Hall of Fame Aug. 12, said the 1 1/4-mile Personal Ensign remains very much on the radar for Blind Luck, who last year defeated Havre de Grace by a neck in Saratoga’s Alabama (gr. I). The fillies have met twice this year, with each of them winning once. “The Personal Ensign was always on the table, but I am also looking real hard at the Pacific Classic (gr. I) on the same day (at Del Mar),” said Hollendorfer. “We haven’t made a decision, and there’s no timetable because we’re still a ways out from the 28th. It’s easy to plan your workout schedule when the races are on the same day.” Blind Luck, 12-7-2 from 21 starts, returned from the Delaware Handicap (gr. II) to breeze five furlongs in 1:00 2/5 at Del Mar Aug. 5. Meanwhile, owner Rick Porter said he and trainer Larry Jones are leaning toward the Personal Ensign rather than the Sept. 3 Woodward (gr. I) against males, as the next start for Havre de Grace. “Right now, we are leaning heavily toward the Personal Ensign,” said Porter. “There are a couple of things that could change that, one being if there were a lot of defections by Whitney horses from the Woodward. But I would say we are 85% to run in the Personal Ensign.” On Aug. 8, Havre de Grace worked five furlongs in 1:00 at Delaware Park. Overall, the two have meet six times, with Blind Luck also victorious in the 2010 Delaware Oaks (gr. II) and the July 16 Delaware Handicap, and Havre de Grace triumphant in the 2010 Fitz Dixon Cotillion (gr. II) at Parx Racing and the Azeri (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park March 19. In their other meeting, Blind Luck and Havre de Grace finished second and third, respectively, behind
Unrivaled Belle
in the 2010 Breeders’ Cup Ladies’ Classic (gr. I).

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 4:40 pm 

BigDonOKC wrote:
i SAW A GOOD GIRL GO DOWN BECAUSE OF A MATCH RACE -- THERE IS NO REASON ANY HORSE SHOULD HAVE TO BE PUT IN THAT TYPE OF RACE.

It seems there is more confusion, the article is not about a Match Race like the one put on at Del Mar the other day, its about publicity in the industry. Thats all, getting more fans to come around.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 3:10 am 

I understand perfectly that this piece is not about HdG and BL. It is about the industry as a whole and the lack of attention from those that govern it. It is a general statement and HdG and BL are being used as an example of a great marketing opportunity that has not been capitalized upon. I'd also like to thank you AAF for pointing out how absolutely terrible that website on HdG and BL
is. It's horrendous. I have pointed this out in other discussions as well.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 5:46 am 

afleetalexforever wrote:
BigDonOKC wrote:

It seems there is more confusion, the article is not about a Match Race like the one put on at Del Mar the other day, its about publicity in the industry. Thats all, getting more fans to come around.

MADE A COMMENT AND YOU TRY TO MAKE IT LIKE WILL --LIKE YOU ALWAYS DO.
gOT TO LOVE YOU TWO WHITE AND YOUR SIDE KICK TRETINA LIKE MO AND JEF.

AS FOT THE NEXT RACE ON THESE TWO GIRLS HOPE THE WEIGHT IS THE SAME AS LAST OUT JUST TO PISS YOU OFF.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 5:55 am 

Weights only mattered to Jerry Hollendorfer before the race.
Here is the article and his statement http://www.drf.com/news/blind-luck-havr ... e-handicap

Hollendorfer wanted to see the weight assignments before committing Blind Luck to the Del Cap. Blind Luck was assigned 122 pounds, two less than Havre de Grace, who got 124 from racing secretary Pat Pope.

“I thought she should get some weight from Havre de Grace,’’ Hollendorfer said. “I wasn’t going to run if they put me at equal weights or gave me a pound. They gave us two pounds. We’re coming into her backyard.’’

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next