It is currently November 19th, 2017, 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Page 4 of 5 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Travers -coil and shackleford 8-27-2011
PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 3:05 pm 

FDF
Toddyboy is soooooo stiff! He really needs to lighten up. Reminds me of the old Dallas Cowboy coach, Tom Landry. What a contrast to Baffert.
As far as the workouts go, I totally agree with you. It's a little strange that he rarely varies his training regimens no matter the horse. You'd think he might have wanted to put a little more bottom into Mo. Guess he doesn't like to over work them. Who knows?
ST is number 1 now, no question. I think Shaq should maybe go to the Penn Derby and Coil should probably try the poly again. We shall see.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 5:00 pm 

fred p - Sometimes we have to throw out a race and in this case when you look at how consistent Shackleford and Coil ran in graded stakes company prior to the Travers you have to think it is the track and move on with them. It would also appear Ruler On Ice likes an off track. He hasn't been beaten by much but if it was an off track I think he would be right there.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 5:15 pm 

Hail
By move on with them do you mean sending them both to the JCGC?

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 5:36 pm 

fred p - Coil has a Win and Your In so I doubt if he will go in the JCGC. Shackleford might give it a shot or pass and go straight into the BC, he has enough points. Ruler On Ice won at Belmont and the JCGC being run in Oct. the weather and the track could help him a lot but if it is a fast track I don't think he can beat the top horses. We still have some very good older horses to run like Tizway and Flat Out.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 6:09 pm 

I don't think either Coil or Shaq would have a shot in the Classic. They should both look for easier prey. But I've been wrong before.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 7:34 pm 

fred p wrote:
FDF
Toddyboy is soooooo stiff! He really needs to lighten up. Reminds me of the old Dallas Cowboy coach, Tom Landry. What a contrast to Baffert.
As far as the workouts go, I totally agree with you. It's a little strange that he rarely varies his training regimens no matter the horse. You'd think he might have wanted to put a little more bottom into Mo. Guess he doesn't like to over work them. Who knows?
ST is number 1 now, no question. I think Shaq should maybe go to the Penn Derby and Coil should probably try the poly again. We shall see.

the fact that he never varies his training says to me he doesn't know how to read his horses. this fact is reinforced with the fact many times his horses have come into a race not feeling well or off a little and he doesn't have a clue.... he has a terrible record with his runners repeating performances after they run a good race. which says to me he never really gets his runners fit all the time. if the horse thrives under his routine like it appears thirsty does, its all well and good, but that isn't the case with all his horses, and he doesn't know how to adjust.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 7:57 pm 

Biskit
Those are all good points and that is why Toddy boy it not the best...yet. He is still young.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2011, 1:21 pm 

fred p wrote:
I don't think either Coil or Shaq would have a shot in the Classic. They should both look for easier prey. But I've been wrong before.

Shackelford is a tired horse and needs some time off- he would have no chance in classic even if he wasn't tired, The TC campaign took its toll on him

Don't write off Coil in the Classic- he is a good horse that didn't like the track, Baffert is kicking himself for running him at Saratoga even though his first- instinct was to skip the race and send him back to CA, Martin Garcia asked Coil in the stretch and when he didn't have a kick and Martin knew he had no shot to win so he just let him gallop to the finish line.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2011, 1:30 pm 

fred p & da bisket...
yeah, Toddyboy is as stiff as a starched shirt...I beleive the only time I ever saw him get emotional, or maybe a better word would be, animated, was when he was rooting Rags down the stretch in the Belmont...does the man ever really smile? I wonder if he hates it when Repole hugs him after a win...talk about opposites!!

bisket, I agree with your assessment of Toddy's training... is it because he has so many in training he feels they cannot get personal attention? Maybe he can run his hands down a leg and feel a bump or some heat, maybe he has a good eye for conformation, maybe he can ride the pony horse out to the track...but I still say, and seems you guys agree, he just isn't a really good trainer/horseman...I can do all the things he does for cryin' out loud!!

bisket, guess it drives you crazy too, the 5F, 5F, 5F...all day long...what is that? I woulda got a nice 7F into Mo, followed that with a fast 3 or 4F blow out...ya know, you kep a horse working at 5F all the time and after he races 5F he'll think it's time to slow down...creatures of habit ya know...and I don't think he gallops his horse more than once around...how about some nice 2, 1 1/2 mile gallops...nothing better at building up stamina and a good horse, fit horse, will gallop 2 miles and could go that again.

I also agree that Shack should not run in the Classic...I just love that colt (hope he's around as a 4 yr. old)...but he won't get the distance, even tossing out the Travers, he will come up short for the classic distance...now Coil on the other hand, he could do it...he don't need synthetic to run on, but he does need to have a couple of races over the Churchill surface...like the Spa, some horses just hate that track...but IMO, he would be fine for the BC Classic...although, come Classic day, my twop picks will be Tizway or Stay Thirsty (despite what the Euro's might send here for that race).

Gandalf the Grey

PostPosted: August 29th, 2011, 1:31 pm 

muleskinner wrote:
fred p wrote:

Shackelford is a tired horse and needs some time off- he would have no chance in classic even if he wasn't tired, The TC campaign took its toll on him

Don't write off Coil in the Classic- he is a good horse that didn't like the track, Baffert is kicking himself for running him at Saratoga even though his first- instinct was to skip the race and send him back to CA, Martin Garcia asked Coil in the stretch and when he didn't have a kick and Martin knew he had no shot to win so he just let him gallop to the finish line.

I agree with you, mule :D

Gandalf the Grey

PostPosted: August 29th, 2011, 9:13 pm 

If Coil runs in the Classic ...good luck to him

PostPosted: August 30th, 2011, 7:06 am 

fd tod has a terrible record with horses repeating a good race. yeah thirsty managed 3 in a row, but thats in the minority for whats normal for a pletcher trained horse. the lack of galloping, and real morning works is probably the reason he never seems to have his runners run a string of performances together... they never get really fit..

PostPosted: August 30th, 2011, 8:02 am 

shackleford is now toast you could see it in his front legs they need to realize they had a good run but its over and drop him down in distance

Coil is just to green to get it done and i just dont think he will get that distance

its time to take the animosity out and really look at this division

ITs terrible One horse has bloomed while the others are back peddleing

2 other horses are coming back id love to see mo and the factor in the BC mile

PostPosted: August 31st, 2011, 9:23 am 

Bornahorseman wrote:
shackleford is now toast you could see it in his front legs they need to realize they had a good run but its over and drop him down in distance

Coil is just to green to get it done and i just dont think he will get that distance

Me too...we'd be watching Mo get beat :D

Gandalf the Grey

PostPosted: August 31st, 2011, 10:44 am 

Fdf47 wrote:
Bornahorseman wrote:

Me too...we'd be watching Mo get beat :D

The mile would be the better distance for Mo. If the two of them ran in the same race might still have a problem on who to play - but it might be the factor.

as for Shack and coil the distance of a mile and a 1/4 is only out of shack distance Coil just has to show up to get in the race.

Page 4 of 5 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next