It is currently November 19th, 2017, 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: $200k Longacres Mile~Gr3, 3&Up, 1M (Aug 21st)
PostPosted: August 20th, 2011, 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

HTR,
YES! Longacres is a very storied and historical track indeed and YES...Boeing DID buy it and now the former grandstand, track, and backside it barely recognizable and most has been leveled...the grand old poplar trees that lines the entrance are still there and a small portion of the track is visible, especially from the air but other than that the place in all in shambles and no longer recognizeable for the former grandeur it once was. SO MUCH history there. MIss that old place indeed.

WHile EMerald DOwns is NOT Longacres, I have to say I have been VERY impressed with them the last couple days. I have spent alot of time at the barn with Awesome Gem both last night after work and this morning for workouts, a bath, and breakfast and he looks phenomenal. He LOOKS ready to run and interestingly his best race of the last four outs was in triple digits speed figures at this distance where he sat in mid pack and made one nice run. There is a little bit of speed in this race and so he'll most liekly settle in midpack and launch his kick. Hope he can do it!! He sure LOOKS like he can. His gallop this morning was interesting. He was just out for a gallop and another horse was working and went running past him and the rider had to hold him back because he tried to dig in and give chase to catch that horse. LOL! Just LOVE HIM so much. Such a GORGEOUS horse and a seasoned pro! To look at him you would NEVER know he is 8 years old! I am spoiling him with carrots and whispering sweet nothngs in his ears in the hopes that he listens and runs well. If I have to I'll wave a bag of carrots over the fence at the finish line! HAHA!

Got TONS of pictures of him yesterday and this morning and plan to get many, many more tomorrow! Returning this afternoon to ply him with carrots and peppermints again! He is sure a neat guy indeed. He sure ships excellently! He ships from one state to another as if he were just changing stalls! Hasn't left a grain in his bucket (even wanted more) and tore into his hay rack as soon as he was dried off! He is full of himself for sure and I hope he runs much the best tomorrow!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AWESOEM GEM!

PostPosted: August 20th, 2011, 1:50 pm 

AfleetTreet - I'll be cheering for Awesome Gem knowing he's got you in his corner.
It's nice to hear he is a good shipper and handles new surroundings perfectly.
It's a trainer's delight when they have an outstanding stake horse that likes to ship and is a good doer.
Go Awesome Gem!!

PostPosted: August 20th, 2011, 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks HTR! I am excited to share my pictures of him with you once I get them all uploaded to my computer.

PostPosted: August 21st, 2011, 12:07 am 

Sounds like you have had a great couple of days Treet and still have the best bit to come.

Out in Spain at the moment but will try and get a bet on Awesome Gem to cover the holiday expenses (your enthusiasm has got to me)...!!

PostPosted: August 21st, 2011, 11:16 am 
Site Admin

Here ya go everyone,...some of the best pictures I have captured over the last couple days....Hoping to get TONS more of him today...heard from his camp this morning and he is feeling GREAT and ready to run (and WIN)!!! (the one with his tongue sticking out is what Gem thinks of th ecompetition...LMAO)
ENJOY!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO GEMSTER GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Attachments:
Gem11.JPG
Gem11.JPG [ 37.51 KiB | Viewed 4922 times ]
Gem10.JPG
Gem10.JPG [ 37 KiB | Viewed 4922 times ]
Gem9.JPG
Gem9.JPG [ 34.36 KiB | Viewed 4922 times ]
Gem8.JPG
Gem8.JPG [ 39.8 KiB | Viewed 4922 times ]
Gem7.JPG
Gem7.JPG [ 38.52 KiB | Viewed 4922 times ]
Gem6.JPG
Gem6.JPG [ 39.2 KiB | Viewed 4922 times ]
Gem5.JPG
Gem5.JPG [ 31.85 KiB | Viewed 4922 times ]
Gem4.JPG
Gem4.JPG [ 35.6 KiB | Viewed 4922 times ]
Gem3.JPG
Gem3.JPG [ 33.17 KiB | Viewed 4922 times ]
Gem2.JPG
Gem2.JPG [ 34.02 KiB | Viewed 4922 times ]
Gem1.JPG
Gem1.JPG [ 35.06 KiB | Viewed 4922 times ]

PostPosted: August 21st, 2011, 11:38 am 

AfleetTreet - What excellent pictures. his coat and eyes are a picture of a very healthy happy horse.
He obviously likes all the attention you giving him, he'll win for sure.

PostPosted: August 21st, 2011, 2:10 pm 

who's the cute girl?

PostPosted: August 21st, 2011, 6:03 pm 

WOW! AWESOME IS RIGHT!

PostPosted: August 21st, 2011, 6:03 pm 

Yea GEM!!!!!!! YAY Treet so happy for everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The old gentleman is AWESOME!

love the pics btw especially the one of his name plate. the lighting is so pretty.

PostPosted: August 21st, 2011, 9:30 pm 

He certainly is a beautiful horse. Thanks for sharing the fantastic pictures!

PostPosted: August 21st, 2011, 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

OMG!!!! Everyone it was AMAZING...truly AWESOME! Gemster is SUCH a pro!! I KNEW he could do it and to be the hometown fave the WAY he did it...David gave him an EXCELLENT ride...he broke beautifully and ran to perfection! Not a drop of sweat on him in the paddock or post parade! I got SOOOO many pictures...turns out a family of his owners live right here in WA and it was such a thrill and joy to see them elated and enjoying his win and a visit to him at the barn! I can't wait to share some wpictures with them! What a wonderful rode they have had with this AWESOME horse since day one! MANY CONGRATS to them! Just got home...there was an after party and I enjoyed meeting and spending time with so many people. I cannot EVER thank Sergio enough for letting me spend so much time with Gem...a memory I will cherish FOREVER! I KNEW HE COULD DO IT!!! His stretch run was scintillating and after the race he looked like he could go around again! A consummate pro!!! I jokingly told them that I expected to see him in the Pacific Classic next week!! HAHAHA!!!Can't wait to share some more amazing pics with you all.....YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! Gemster is AWESOME indeed!!! LOVE THAT BOY!!! Carrots all around!!! HOOF HOOF HOORAY!!!
(Fred...that was just some chick hanging around the barn...LMAO!)

PostPosted: August 21st, 2011, 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

(Courtesy of Bloodhorse)

Awesome Gem Sparkles Anew in Longacres Mile

By Jack Shinar
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2011 10:05 PM.

Awesome Gem , the richest horse to ever race in Washington, was too much for local star Noosa Beach in the $200,000 Longacres Mile Handicap (gr. III)at Emerald Downs Aug. 21.
Sent off as the slight 8-5 favorite over Noosa Beach in the field of 11 for Washington's signature race, Awesome Gem launched his bid from the outside rounding the far turn and overtook the pacesetting Noosa Beach in the stretch. Under steady handling from David Flores, the 8-year-old son of Awesome Gem opened up a clear advantage at the furlong pole and won comfortably by 1 1/2 lengths.
Noosa Beach, who captured the Longacres Mile last year, settled for second this time.
Awesome Gem, winner of the 2010 Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I), came into the race with earnings of more than $2.5 million.
Racing in the black and gold silks of West Point Thoroughbreds, Awesome Gem had to overcome the far outside post and a quick run to the first turn. But in spite of being wide on both turns, he handled all the obstacles in fine style, completing the trip in a solid 1:34.80 on a fast track. He became the second horse to win the Longacres Mile from post 11 in 42 tries.
Noosa Beach, one slot to his inside, was also compromised by the post, and jockey Gallyn Mitchell had to use a bit of his speedy 5-year-old Harbour the Gold gelding to clear the field into the clubhouse turn. In addition, Noosa Beach shouldered top weight of 125 pounds, three more than Awesome Gem.
With Awesome Gem rating well off the early leaders in mid-pack while carried wide into the first turn, Noosa Beach led
Slew the Man and Posse Power through pressing fractions of :23.95, :46.62, and 1:10.37. Mitchell knew he was in trouble, going to his whip early as Awesome Gem swung into gear and emerged as a major challenger on the outside.
Noosa Beach fought back but could not keep up as Awesome Gem took the lead and proved best all the way to the wire.

"I just followed Noosa Beach to the rail and settled behind the leaders," Flores said of his tactics aboard the winner. "He's such an easy horse to relax that if I let him relax too much, he'll fall asleep. I wanted to keep my horse within range, with my eyes targeted on the leader.
"When I asked him to go, he started cruising," added Flores who also won the Longacres Mile aboard Isitingood in 1996. "My horse was making such a big run that when we went by, I saw (Noosa Beach) fight back, but by that time it was too late. I never gave them a chance. I give all the credit to the horse. He shows up every time."

Noosa Beach came home a clear second by two lengths. Posse Power finished third with former Washington resident Russell Baze aboard.
"Everything went as planned," Mitchell said. "(Noosa Beach) broke great and we got over to the fence without any problems. He was doing it easy on the front end just pricking his ears. I wanted to keep him off the fence a little bit because the rail was a little deep. He just kept digging in the whole way.
"This horse has never quit for me once this year. I'm really proud of him, and I'm glad to be a part of him. I take nothing away from the winner. That's a nice horse."
Trained in Southern California by Craig Dollase, Awesome Gem ran second to Assessment in the 2009 Longacres Mile, the last time the imposing chestnut raced at one mile on dirt. Bred in Kentucky by Runnymeade Farm, Catesby Clay, and Peter Callahan, the gelding is out of the Pentelicus mare Piano. Awesome Gem has now raced 46 times in his career, amassing a record of nine wins, 14 seconds, and five thirds. He extended his lifetime earnings to $2,688,270 with the winner's share of $110,000. He has now finished in the top three in 18 graded events during his lucrative career and has five wins and six placings in 15 starts on natural dirt.
"David Flores rode a great race; he helped overcome the outside post and gave the horse a chance to win," said Dollase, who watched the race from a Del Mar suite with Terry Finley of West Point and a group of friends. "And then Awesome Gem showed his true heart down the lane. You don't see horses like him too often. I'm very excited to finally get a Longacres Mile, because we've tried so hard to win this race." Assistant trainer Sergio Martin saddled Awesome Gem in place of Dollase. Noosa Beach, who put in a game effort for second, was looking for his eighth consecutive win -- all in stakes -- for trainer Doris Harwood. Awesome Gem paid $5.20, $3, and $2.80. Noosa Beach returned $3.20 and $2.80 and completed a $14 exacta. Posse Power was $5.20 to show. Posse Power finished 3 1/4 lengths ahead of Crew Leader
in fourth. He was followed by 2008 Longacres Mile winner Wasserman, a 9-year-old making his fifth consecutive appearance in the race. J P Jammer, Winning Machine, Assessment, Slew the Man, Honour the Deputy, and Saratoga Boot completed the order of finish. St Liams Halo was scratched

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2011, 4:18 am 

Treet,
I thought of you as I watched the race. He looked superb and you sure captured his beauty in your pictures. I'm so glad for you that Sergio let you be up close and personal with one of your all time favorites. You must have had the time of your life.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2011, 4:23 am 

AfleetTreet - He won with real authority and it sure sounds like a very popular win.
I had my window open and at about 8:30PM, 5:30PM your time, I could here this whooping and hollering coming across Georgian Bay but I couldn't see anybody so I assume it was the sounds of joy emanating across the country from Emerald Downs hahahahaha, yahoooo.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2011, 11:50 am 
Site Admin

Oso,
It was surreal!! I am forever grateful to Sergio and WPTB's for letting me be such a part of it...I have SOOOOOOO much homework to do to get caught up and make the deadline for finals to be submitted tonight but it was WORTH IT! They fly out tonight at 9pm but I have been invited down for one last visit with "my boy" sometime today and will arrive fully loaded with carrots and apples for him! I promised him that much so I will happily stuff him. It will be a nice respite from homework and a joy indeed. I am SOOOOO happy for all his connections and for Sergio especially who travels with Gem wherever he goes....Sergio was so proud of him and it is obvious he loves that horse so much! Can't wait to get the rest of my pictures uploaded of him from yesterday and my visit this afternoon. I only shared a tiny fractionof the pics I took but as soon as I can edit and crop and tinker with the hundreds and hundreds I took I am hopeful that I will have quite the album of pictures of him! SUCH a neat horse....such a priceless champion. A real GEM indeed!

HTR,

YES!!! That was most likely ME you heard....esepcially it it reached a deafening crescendo around 9pm your time...he crossed the finish line about then and it was incredible!! SO proud of him...I knew all along he could do it and surely all my private conversations with him helped buffer his confidence as he OWNED that race and that track yesterday...even beating the tough locals on their home track! WHat a boy he is and the headline above "AWESOME GEM SPARKLES ANEW" surely is most befitting! It is ALWAYS such a joy to see win from horses like him that I have followed since day one...Heck I can remember jumping on his bandwagon when he was on the Kentucky Derby trail and now here he is 5 years later dominating races like he did yesterday...I was thinking to myself as I watched him in my long lens and they approached the turn..."Let him go David...Let him go".....and sure enough...as if on cue...Gemster started rolling after them. PERFET instructions by Sergio....perfect ride by David to keep him up close and outside and because he likes going longer the fanning wide on both turns didn't faze him at all....it was priceless indeed and one of the memories I shall cherish always as one of my top moments in the sport. He is just AWESOME!!!

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next