It is currently November 19th, 2017, 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: $200k Longacres Mile~Gr3, 3&Up, 1M (Aug 21st)
PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

YIPPPPEEEEE! Nominations are out and LOOKS who's coming! GEMSTER!!!!! Connections got in touch and confirmed he'll be here the week before!! YEAH!!!!!! Can't wait to see him, snuggle him, take LOTS of pics, and ply him with carrots!!! A mile is a little short for him I think but he can do it!!! It's a VERY nice group of nominees...I wonder how many will show up??? I will be there for sure!

Nominations $200,000 Longacres Mile (G3)-Sunday, Aug. 21
Nominee

................[b]Owner...............Trainer
Almost Time (5-BC).....Swift Thoroughbreds Inc......Dino Condilenios
Assessment (7-KY)..... Tice Ranch Stables.....Howard Belvoir
Awesome Gem (8-KY).....West Point Thoroughbreds.....Craig Dollase
Cherokee Notion (4-BC).....Glen Todd & Patrick Kinsella.....Troy Taylor
Crew Leader (4-KY).....Swift Thoroughbreds Inc......Dino Condilenios
Dahoud (5-NZ).....Mrs. S.K. Johnston Jr......Jerry Hollendorfer
Davos (6-KY).....Ron Crockett Inc......Junior Coffey
Don'twaitforme (4-BC).....Barry & Henrica Tyrer.....Robert VanOverschot
Hollywood Harbor (4-WA).....One Horse Will Do Corp. & Stenslie.....Chris Stenslie
Honour the Deputy (4-FLA).....Barnett, Dedomenico, Hollendorfer & Todaro.....Jerry Hollendorfer
Indian Firewater (4-KY).....Watson, Pegram & Weitman.....Bob Baffert
J P Jammer (5-CA).....Clifford Dean Street.....Karyn Seal
Kevlar Kid (4-KY).....Warren B. Williamson.....Carla Gaines
Noosa Beach (5-WA).....Jeff Harwood.....Doris Harwood
Our Minesweeper (4-ID).....David P. Taylor.....Frank Lucarelli
Our Nautique (6-NZ).....J. Hollendorfer & R. Tunnicliffe.....Jerry Hollendorfer
Posse Power (4-KY).....David P. Taylor Jr......Frank Lucarelli
Price (5-KY).....C.T. Grether Inc......Howard Zucker
Rooster City (5-KY).....Victor George Bahna Jr......Tim McCanna
Run It (5-KY).....Mercedes Stables LLC.....Tim Yakteen
Saratoga Boot (4-ARK).....Gary Hughes.....Tim McCanna
Seven Torrents (4-ORE).....Remmah Racing Inc......Jim Penney
Slew the Man (4-WA).....Alan Klein & Philip Lebherz.....Jeff Bonde
Spurrier (6-KY).....Arnold Zetcher LLC.....Bob Baffert
St Liams Halo (4-FLA).....Glen Todd & Patrick Kinsella.....Michael Puhich
Wasserman (9-WA).....Howard Belvoir.....Howard Belvoir
Whatsthescript (7-IRE).....Tommy Town Thoroughbreds LLC.....Jerry Hollendorfer
Winning Machine (5-KY).....Fleur De Lis Stables.....Frank Lucarelli
-##-
[/b]

Post subject: Re: $200k Longacres Mile~Gr3, 3&Up, 1M (Aug 21st)
PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

CRAZY!! Just noticed Lilly Fa Pootz & Washington Bridge have nominated to the Emerald Distaff on Longacre's Mile day!!!

Nominations $65,000 Emerald Distaff-Sunday, Aug. 21
Nominee
...............Owner...............Trainer

Dashing Daisy (5-BC).....Glen Todd & Peter Tom.....Troy Taylor
Daymaker (6-KY).....Swift Thoroughbreds Inc......Dino Condilenios
Dream Sweeper (5-KY).....Dr. Rodney Orr.....Chris Stenslie
Hard Way Ten (4-KY).....Herman Sarkowsky.....Doris Harwood
Kimmyv (5-KY).....Swift Thoroughbreds Inc......Dino Condilenios
Lilly Fa Pootz (6-KY).....Team Green & Jerry Hollendorfer.....Jerry Hollendorfer
Private Fortune (4-WA).....Blue Ribbon Racing #2.....Jim Penney
Rewritten (4-KY).....Ron Crockett Inc......Frank Lucarelli
Sweet Nellie Brown (4-WA).....James & Zola Proffitt.....Jim Penney
U R All That I Am (5-CA).....Tommy Town Thoroughbreds.....Jerry Hollendorfer
Washington Bridge (4-KY).....Mark Dedomenico & Jerry Hollendorfer Jerry Hollendorfer
Waynetta (4-KY).....River Ridge Ranch, Taylor & Carver Jerry Hollendorfer
You Me and Ema B (4-WA).....Monogram Racing & Patrick Hoonan.....Margo Lloyd
Zenovit (4-WA).....Dana Claxton & Riverbend Stable.....Larry Ross

–##–

PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 4:55 pm 

Treet...pleaseeeeee...no nominations...they are just a tease...wait until the entries come out. I think the majority will agree.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

*eeeeep*

Sorry Fred!! I usually don't post nominations BUT since I happen to be "in the know" I DO know that our local Star Noose Beach (and maybe the last 2 MIle winners, Assessment and Waserman) will be there as well as one of my most beloved faves Awesome Gem (I know for a fact here be here)...I just HAD to post the only list I coudl find...will keep you posted for sure on the latest confirmations as they roll in. Either way the Nomnations list looks awesome!!

PostPosted: August 15th, 2011, 12:09 am 
Site Admin

(Courtesy of Emerald Downs www.emdowns.com)

DEFENDING CHAMP NOOSA BEACH ASSIGNED 125 LBS
WEIGHTS RELEASED FOR $200,000 LONGACRES MILE (G3)

AUBURN, Wash. (Aug. 12) – Emerald Downs Director of Racing Bret Anderson has released a list of 28 handicap weights for the 76th renewal of the $200,000 Longacres Mile (G3) Sunday, Aug. 21.

Top local hope and defending Longacres Mile champion Noosa Beach was assigned high weight of 125 lbs— three more than both the 122 lbs. assigned both Southern California-based multi-millionaire Awesome Gem and Northern California-based New Zealand-bred Our Nautique.

The great Chinook Pass—the six-length Longacres Mile winner in 1983—is the last horse to carry 125 lbs in the Mile. Since then, the most weight carried is 124 lbs. by Bolulight, sixth-place finisher in 1993.

Bad ‘N Big at 128 lbs. in 1978 holds the record for most weight carried by a Longacres Mile winner, followed by Trooper Seven with 126 lbs. in 1981

Winner of seven straight races and 10 of his last 11 overall, Jeff Harwood's Noosa Beach carried a track record 126 lbs while winning his most recent start, the July 24 Mt. Rainier Handicap at 1-1/16 miles. The half-length victory, however, marked the smallest margin of victory during the current winning streak, which began over a year ago with a 4-½-length score in the 2010 Mt. Rainier Handicap

Last year, Noosa Beach (20-14-3-2-$480,722) carried 120 lbs. while winning The Mile by 1-½ lengths in 1:34 4/5.

West Point Thoroughbred' Awesome Gem—expected to ship in with David Flores to ride for trainer Craig Dollase—also carried 122 lbs in the 2009 Longaacres Mile when he finished second behind Assessment as the 2-to-1 betting favorite. The 8-year-old gelding has earned $2,578,200 in a brilliant 45-race career that includes first, second or third place finishes in 17 graded stakes races.

St Liams Halo at 120 lbs is the high weight of the expected three-horse contingent from Hastings Racecourse, followed by Crew Leader at 118 and Don'twaitforme at 116.

Hall of Fame trainer Jerry Hollendorfer nominated four horses, but only Honour the Deputy, weighted at 117 lbs., is expected to run in The Mile.

Over 12 runners are expected to enter; marking the fifth straight year the race will have the maximum 12 starters. Anderson also plans to card an open $30,000 race at 6 1/2 furlongs for 3-year-olds and up on the Mile program, an attractive alternative for horses excluded from the Longacres Mile.

The Longacres Mile is limited to 12 starters with high weights preferred. Entries will be taken Wednesday, Aug. 17 and announced during a draw brunch at 11 a.m. in the Emerald Room (4th floor).

Weights for the 76th Longacres Mile, $200,000 (G3), Sunday, Aug. 21
Noosa Beach.....125
Awesome Gem.....122
Our Nautique (NZ).....122
Indian Firewater.....121
St Liams Halo.....120
Run It.....119
Slew the Man.....119
Crew Leader.....118
Dahoud (NZ).....118
Kevlar Kid.....118
Almost Time.....117
Assessment.....117
Honour the Deputy.....117
Rooster City.....117
Spurrier.....117
Winning Machine.....117
Cherokee Notion.....116
Don'twaitforme.....116
Hollywood Harbor.....116
Saratoga Boot.....116
Whatsthescript (IRE).....116
Davos.....115
Posse Power.....115
J P Jammer.....114
Our Minesweeper.....114
Price.....114
Seven Torrents.....112
Wasserman.....112

PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

(Courtesy of NTRA/Daily Racing Form)

Winning Machine poses threat in Longacres Mile

Nick Rousso, Daily Racing Form
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2011

AUBURN, Wash. – While Noosa Beach commands most of the attention leading into Sunday’s Grade 3 Longacres Mile at Emerald Downs, another local horse, Winning Machine, has been going about his business, more or less under the radar. Some talented runners from California and Canada are shipping in to chase a share of the $200,000 purse, but Jeff Harwood, who owns Noosa Beach, says Winning Machine is the horse he fears more than any other.

Harwood is quite familiar with Winning Machine. His wife, Doris Harwood, trained the horse until midway through the 2010 Emerald meeting, when Winning Machine was transferred to trainer Frank Lucarelli. By then Winning Machine had gone off form, but after a restful winter, the 5-year-old is rounding into peak form. He closed strongly to finish second behind Noosa Beach in the one-mile Budweiser Handicap on June 17, and followed up with a pacesetting second in the 1 1/6-mile Mt. Rainier Handicap on July 24. Winning Machine giving way grudgingly to Noosa Beach, losing by just a half-length, and posted a Beyer Speed Figure of 92, equaling his career best.

“He ran great,” Lucarelli said this week. “I wished Assessment didn’t come up and hook into him early, at the five-eighths. But Noosa Beach is a tough horse, and he might have got by us anyway. I was very pleased with the effort. He ran his guts out right to the wire.”

Winning Machine breezed six furlongs in 1:12 on Monday morning, his last major tune-up for the Mile. Regular rider Leslie Mawing was aboard, and Lucarelli said his horse “couldn’t be doing any better.” He will carry 117 pounds in the Mile, eight fewer than Noosa Beach, who will shoulder 125 on the heels of seven consecutive stakes victories. The post position draw was scheduled for Wednesday.

“When you’ve got a horse like Noosa Beach – a big, freaking strong horse who probably outweighs Winning Machine by 300 or 400 pounds – the weight shouldn’t be a big deal,” Lucarelli said. “Of course, you always want to get a little bit if you’re chasing a good horse like we’ve been chasing Noosa, but adding a few to him and taking a few from my horse might not make a big difference.

“I’m guessing there will be a fair amount of speed in the race, and for Winning Machine, that’s good. He’s better stalking a bit than on the lead. It looks like it could set up pretty good for him.”Emerald Downs: Winning Machine poses threat in Longacres Mile By Nick Rousso ShareThis EmailPrint AUBURN, Wash. – While Noosa Beach commands most of the attention leading into Sunday’s Grade 3 Longacres Mile at Emerald Downs, another local horse, Winning Machine, has been going about his business, more or less under the radar. Some talented runners from California and Canada are shipping in to chase a share of the $200,000 purse, but Jeff Harwood, who owns Noosa Beach, says Winning Machine is the horse he fears more than any other. Harwood is quite familiar with Winning Machine. His wife, Doris Harwood, trained the horse until midway through the 2010 Emerald meeting, when Winning Machine was transferred to trainer Frank Lucarelli. By then Winning Machine had gone off form, but after a restful winter, the 5-year-old is rounding into peak form. He closed strongly to finish second behind Noosa Beach in the one-mile Budweiser Handicap on June 17, and followed up with a pacesetting second in the 1 1/6-mile Mt. Rainier Handicap on July 24. Winning Machine giving way grudgingly to Noosa Beach, losing by just a half-length, and posted a Beyer Speed Figure of 92, equaling his career best. “He ran great,” Lucarelli said this week. “I wished Assessment didn’t come up and hook into him early, at the five-eighths. But Noosa Beach is a tough horse, and he might have got by us anyway. I was very pleased with the effort. He ran his guts out right to the wire.” Winning Machine breezed six furlongs in 1:12 on Monday morning, his last major tune-up for the Mile. Regular rider Leslie Mawing was aboard, and Lucarelli said his horse “couldn’t be doing any better.” He will carry 117 pounds in the Mile, eight fewer than Noosa Beach, who will shoulder 125 on the heels of seven consecutive stakes victories. The post position draw was scheduled for Wednesday. “When you’ve got a horse like Noosa Beach – a big, freaking strong horse who probably outweighs Winning Machine by 300 or 400 pounds – the weight shouldn’t be a big deal,” Lucarelli said. “Of course, you always want to get a little bit if you’re chasing a good horse like we’ve been chasing Noosa, but adding a few to him and taking a few from my horse might not make a big difference. “I’m guessing there will be a fair amount of speed in the race, and for Winning Machine, that’s good. He’s better stalking a bit than on the lead. It looks like it could set up pretty good for him.”

PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

Gemster gets here tomorrow! I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED! YIPPPPPEEEEE!! :D :P 8) :D :P 8)

PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

Barn news and updates on Mile contenders from Emerald Downs

(Courtesy of Emdowns.com)

AWESOME GEM ARRIVES WEDNESDAY NIGHT IN ADVANCE
OF SUNDAY'S $200,000 LONGACRES MILE (G3)

West Point Thoroughbreds' multi-millionaire Awesome Gem completed major preparations for Sunday's $200,000 Lonagcres Mile (G3) with a half-mile workout Tuesday in: 47-2/5 over Del Mar's synthetic Polytrack surface.

Trainer Craig Dollase termed the work “a perfect blow-out” and said the 8-year-old Awesome Again gelding would board an LAX charter for Seattle on Wednesday evening. En route, the flight is scheduled to stop in Oakland to pick up fellow Longacres Mile competitor Slew the Man.

Awesome Gem (45-8-14-5-$2,578,270) will be making his second Longacres Mile appearance. He finished second to Assessment in 2009, and is 4-5-1 in 14 starts on dirt with earnings of $791,908. Assistant trainer Sergio Martin—who handled saddling duties with Awesome Gem in 2009 and third-place Mile finisher Tropic Storm in 2008—will accompany Awesome Gem to Emerald Downs, where the gelding will be stabled at the barn of Vann Belvoir. Nancy Ury will be the West Point Thoroughbreds representative at Emerald Downs.

Slew the Man (24-5-7-5-$173,445) returns to Emerald Downs where he finished fourth in the 2010 Emerald Derby before romping by three lengths in the restricted, one-mile Chinook Pass Stakes. Owing to a busy schedule, trainer Jeff Bonde will miss The Mile and said assistant Larry Dennis would accompany Slew the Man to Emerald Downs. The 4-year-old Washington-bred will be stabled with Steve Fisher.

Possible Starters—$200,000 Longacres Mile (G3)—Sunday, Aug. 21
Horse..........Trainer..........Jockey..........Weight
Noosa Beach.....Doris Harwood.....Gallyn Mitchell.....125
Awesome Gem.....Craig Dollase.....David Flores.....122
St Liams Halo.....Michael Puhich.....Mario Gutierrez.....120
Slew the Man.....Jeff Bonde.....Frank Alvarado.....119
Crew Leader.....Dino Condilenios.....Chad Hoverson.....118
Assessment.....Howard Belvoir.....Juan Gutierrez.....117
Honour the Deputy.....Jerry Hollendorfer.....TBA.....117
Winning Machine.....Frank Lucarelli.....Leslie Mawing.....117
Hollywood Harbor.....Chris Stenslie.....TBA.....116
Saratoga Boot.....Tim McCanna.....Joe Crispin.....116
Davos.....Junior Coffey.....TBA.....115
Posse Power.....Frank Lucarelli.....Russell Baze.....115
J P Jammer.....Karyn Seal.....TBA.....114
Wasserman.....Howard Belvoir.....TBA.....112

The Longacres Mile field is limited to 12 horses, high weights preferred. Entries for the Longacres Mile and $65,000 Emerald Distaff will be announced 11 a.m. Wednesday in the Emerald Room. (An open $30,000 allowance race at 6-½ furlongs also will be offered Sunday).

CANADIAN HOPEFULS SET TRAVEL PLANS FOR LONGACRES MILE
Glen Todd and Patrick Kinsella's St Liams Halo will be the first shipper to arrive at Emerald Downs in advance of the $200,000 Longacres Mile (G3).

The van is scheduled to leave Hastings Racecourse Wednesday at 7 a.m. and arrive at Emerald Downs around noon. Todd said his filly Late Affair, projected to run in Saturday's allowance race, and would also be aboard. Dashing Daisy, nominated to the $65,000 Emerald Distaff, could also ship with her stable mates for the filly/mare championship event.

“I haven't decided yet whether Dashing Daisy will make the trip down,” Todd said. “As of right now, it's 50/50.”

Trainer Dino Condilenios confirmed that he would send one horse for each championship event on Friday—both Crew Leader and Distaff titleholder Kimmyv are scheduled to arrive at Blaine Wright's barn—No. 1 East—at approximately noon from Hastings Racecourse in Vancouver.

St Liams Halo has been arguably the best older horse at Hastings, winning 3-of-4 this season, including stakes victories in the May 23 John Longden 6000 and July 1 Lt. Governors Handicap. Todd said his 4-year-old gelding couldn't be doing better.

“I talked with his rider, and he told me that (St Liams Halo) is feeling the best he felt all year,” Todd said. “I don't know if we are going to win the race, but I'm happy to be in it.”

Condilenios, who's entered the most Mile horses the past two years with four—all with owner Swift Thoroughbreds, Inc.—cashed checks in both Miles with a third-place finish in 2009 with Teide and a fourth last year with recent BC Classic winner Almost Time.

This year's Mile quest rests solely on the withers of 4-year-old Kentucky-bred Crew Leader, winner of the SW Randall Plate Handicap at Hastings. The Pulpit gelding has won 3-of-4 races this year, and Condilenios said Crew Leader should give a good account of himself on Sunday.

“I'm really happy with the way he's going,” said Condilenios. “He worked really well over the weekend and looks ready for a big run.”

Condilenios could be in line for a Distaff-Mile double if Kimmyv repeats last year's Distaff performance, prevailing over Summer Song with a one-length-victory at 10-to-1 odds.

This year, however, Kimmyv has yet to find her 2010 form when she notched four wins in five starts. Winless in four starts this year, a fast track could help as her last three efforts have been over sloppy tracks including a third-place finish in the May 15 Hastings Handicap at Emerald Downs. Condilenios said he expects Kimmyv to appreciate the return to the Auburn oval.

“For whatever reason, she seems to run better down there than up here at Hastings,” Condilenios said. “She must like the track.”

WASHINGTON-BRED JON WHITE TO SERVE AS HONORARY STEWARD

Emerald Downs is pleased to announce that Thoroughbred racing historian extraordinaire Jon White, a native of Spokane, is the official Honorary Steward for the 76th running of the Longacres Mile.

White—on-air analyst for both Santa Anita and HRTV and morning-line maker at Santa Anita—follows in the footsteps of Eddie Delahoussaye (2010), Laffit Pincay Jr. (2009) and Don Pierce (2008) as Longacres Mile Honorary Steward.

It's a fitting role for one of The Mile's biggest enthusiasts and historians, and for somebody who frequently references and supports Washington racing on a national level.

“This really is a special honor, particularly considering what The Mile has meant to me,” White said. “I witnessed it for the first time in 1967 while standing near the finish line on a hot afternoon as Kings Favor and John Sellers won it. I am really excited about being able to witness The Mile this year, especially with Noosa Beach running in the race. It's going to be a lot of fun.”

Incidentally, White is probably the world's biggest fan of the great Washington-bred gelding Turbulator. White, in fact, has personalized California license plates that reads: TURBULATOR.

White has a (Seattle) slew of activities this week at Emerald Downs. He will speak at both Wednesday's Longacres Mile Draw Breakfast and Saturday's Washington Racing Hall of Fame Banquet. He also will be on hand for Sunday's Railbird Rally and, finally, present the trophy to the Longacres Mile winning connections. He also plans to write his weekly XpressBet.com column on the 2011 Longacres Mile.

Other Longacres Mile Developments

· Run It (119) worked five furlongs in 1:02 2/5 Saturday at Del Mar and trainer Tim Yakteen said the 5-year-old Cherokee Run horse would not run in The Mile. “He hasn't run since May, and I wanted to see little more sparkle in his work,” Yakteen said.

· Hastings Racecourse-based Don'twaitforme (116) missed a scheduled workout Sunday due to a cough, and trainer Robert VanOverschot ruled the 4-year-old Vying Victor gelding out of The Mile.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

The field is set!! YIPPPEE! I am so excited to see Gem!!
[b]POST POSITION HORSE NAME JOCKEY MORNING LINE
1 Posse Power R. Baze 15
2 Assessment J. Gutierrez 15
3 St Liams Halo M. Gutierrez 10
4 Honour the Deputy K. Krigger 12
5 Saratoga Boot J. Crispin 20
6 Winning Machine L. Mawing 12
7 J P Jammer P. Terrero 15
8 Wasserman J. Whitaker 30
9 Slew the Man F. Alvarado 8
10 Crew Leader C. Hoverson 10
11 Noosa Beach G. Mitchell 2
12 Awesome Gem D. Flores 5/2

[/b]

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 4:24 pm 

AfleetTreet - It appears the top 3 choices are in 3 of the 4 outside posts. Ever since I got involved with racing the Longacres Mile Gr3 has been one of the most significant and traditional run stakes races ever on the west coast. I hope the fans have good weather and a great race.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

The weather is lookign good HTR and THIS fan will have a blast! Going to meet Gem in the next couple days!
As for his outside post, he is a closer so I don't thinkt he post will hurt him...I have always thought he liked a little more distance than this but he does like it up here and finished second in this race in 2009 so hopefully if he is doing as well as they say he is, he will be ready...never minsd that yours truly will bring LOTS of bribery carrots and snuggle him like crazy, whispering sweet nothings in his ears! LOL! Hopefully that will do the trick! And YES, the Longacre's Mile has been a historic part of racing in the West for decades...just wish it was still at Longacre's! That track was so cool!

Another neat tidbit is that Karen and Mickey Taylor (Seattle Slew's owners) will be here as honorary stewards! I think they present the trophy this year! Hoping they give it to GEMSTER!!! I'll be there and will post as many pics as I can get of him and the horses, the race and my visit to him in the barn! I am SO excited and cannot wait!

8)

PostPosted: August 19th, 2011, 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

(Courtesy of Daily Racing Form)

Emerald Downs: Noosa Beach the obvious focus

By
Nick Rousso

AUBURN, Wash. – The prevailing plotline for the Grade 3 Longacres Mile – can anybody beat Noosa Beach? – was muddled Wednesday when the race favorite drew the 11 post position and leading challenger Awesome Gem drew the 12. Quite literally, the top two contenders will be on the outside looking in when they break from the gate Sunday at Emerald Downs in the Northwest’s marquee race.

With a $200,000 purse at stake, the Mile attracted shippers from California and Canada, a diverse cast of seven newcomers joining five local horses in a capacity field. Noosa Beach has won seven consecutive stakes races and remains the one to beat, but the combination of a daunting weight assignment (125 pounds, three more than Awesome Gem) and a difficult draw (only once in 75 years has the Mile been won by a horse breaking from post 11) has helped level the playing field and brought several more contenders into play.
None of the above is assuring to Doris Harwood, who trains Noosa Beach, or to her husband, Jeff, who owns the 5-year-old Harbor the Gold gelding and recently paid $25,000 to make Noosa Beach eligible for the Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile this fall at Churchill Downs. Doris Harwood downplayed the post position, saying “he’s such a big horse with a long stride, being on the outside isn’t such a bad thing.” She said weights assigned to the other Emerald horses were equitable. But Harwood was miffed about the spread between her horse and Awesome Gem, a Grade 1 winner who has earned more than $2.5 million. When he starts in the Mile on Sunday, Awesome Gem will be the richest horse ever to compete at a Washington racetrack.
“We can’t do anything about the weights. It’s unfair, but it is what it is,” Harwood said Friday morning. “When we look at the race, nobody likes the outside post, but Noosa Beach and Slew the Man have the most speed, so we’re going to have a clear shot to that first turn. Really, there’s no one better than Gallyn Mitchell at getting ’em out of the gate. The horse is so versatile that we’re not really committed to any one thing. But Noosa is doing fabulous. He’s absolutely on the muscle.”
Compared with previous editions, this year’s Mile came up unusually light in the speed department. Hollywood Harbor, perhaps the quickest sprinter at Emerald Downs, was being considered for the Mile, but instead will run in Sunday’s seventh race, a $30,000 allowance at 6 1/2 furlongs. St Liams Halo, a double stakes winner at Hastings, or Slew the Man, gate-to-wire winner of a 1 1/6-mile stakes race at Pleasanton in his last start, could fall into the early lead, or perhaps Winning Machine, who set the pace in the 1 1/16-mile Mt. Rainier Handicap before yielding to Noosa Beach, will assert himself.
A prospect of a slow pace bodes poorly for Awesome Gem, an 8-year-old gelding who prefers to settle in and make one run. Awesome Gem finished second in the 2009 Longacres Mile after a wide trip in his only previous start at Emerald. From the 12 post, he could be forced to take the overland route around the first turn, though trainer Craig Dollase said jockey David Flores will be under strict orders to save as much ground as possible. The trainer said he’s not terribly concerned about the post position.
“We’re not a speed horse, so it shouldn’t hamper us too much,” Dollase said. “He’s training really well, and I expect him to run his best.”
Largely overlooked in the Mile buildup has been Assessment, who won the race in 2009, from the 12 post, and was being readied for the Breeders’ Cup at Santa Anita before injuries intervened. Assessment has been Noosa Beach’s punching bag over the past two years, but looked terrific in the 6 1/2-furlong Governor’s Handicap in May, when he closed with a rush to miss by a length. Assessment has been working brilliantly, and trainer Howard Belvoir expects a vintage effort.
“The race sets up about like it did when he won from the 12 hole – there’s speed on the outside and speed on the inside, and while it’s not a terrific amount of speed, it’s going to be a strategy race,” Belvoir said. “My horse can lay where he wants, the post is good, no excuses. The one who’s really in trouble is Awesome Gem. David Flores is a good rider, but he’s not familiar with the racetrack. The first turn here comes up faster than just about any track you can think of.”
It all comes back to the first turn. All eyes will be on Noosa Beach and Mitchell as they try to secure a favorable position. If it’s clear sailing by the time they hit the backstretch, the prevailing storyline comes back into play: Can anybody beat Noosa Beach?
“Truly, if he wins this race, it will write his name down in history books as one of the greatest Washington horses ever,” Harwood said. “He may get that chance to go to the Breeders’ Cup.”

PostPosted: August 19th, 2011, 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

(Courtesy of Daily Racing Form)

Emerald: Fan favorite Wasserman back in Longacres Mile

By
Jay Hovdey

Every summer at Saratoga, as if the tomatoes and lemonade depended on his blessing, Fourstardave would appear fresh and ready for action, winning race after race until, at age 10, he finally said goodbye.

Every summer at Del Mar, certain as the tides and the setting of the sun, Native Diver would strut his stuff, turning the top handicaps into his own private stage right up to one last, track-record showstopper at age 8.
And every year at Emerald Downs, since a 3-year-old son of Cahill Road trotted up by 6 1/2 lengths in a six-furlong maiden event in May 2005, the institution known as Wasserman has been an indispensible part of summertime racing in the Pacific Northwest.
Of Wasserman’s 62 lifetime starts, he has made 51 at Emerald Downs. Each of his 11 wins and nearly all of his 22 seconds and thirds have come right there in the shadow of Mount Rainier. He has earned more than $550,000 − as Rodney Daingerfield would say, “the hard way” − and while the body at age 9 might not be quite as willing as it once was, there’s no doubt the spirit is still strong.
On Sunday, the biggest day of the Emerald Downs meet, Wasserman will run in his fifth Longacres Mile. It’s becoming hard to imagine the race without him. He won the race in 2008. He was third in 2007. And in 2009 he was fourth when his breakneck finish fell 1 1/4 lengths short of catching stablemate Assessment.
This year the field for the Mile is robust. Winning the best piece of the $200,000 won’t be easy. Noosa Beach, a bonafide regional star, comes into the fight having won 10 of his last 11 starts. Awesome Gem, a 9-year-old road warrior with $2.5 million in the bank, finished a close second in the 2009 Mile. Honour the Deputy represents the dangerous Jerry Hollendorfer string, and in addition to sending forth Wasserman, trainer Howard Belvoir will run the 2009 Mile winner, Assessment, a lad of just 7.
“He finally got a decent post position,” Belvoir said of Assessment on Friday morning after training hours. “This will be his fourth year he’s run in the Mile, and before this he’s had post 10, 11, and 12. He ran fourth, third, and he won − out of the 12-hole.”
The Mile, at once around, presents a short run to the first turn that can play havoc with big, fast fields.
“This race is traditionally a very tough race to ride,” Belvoir said. “Jimmy Craswell was a pretty good rider here in Seattle, and he told me years ago that you’ve pretty much got to ride every horse into that first turn, then decide what to do from there. It‘s a real strategy race.”
To that end, Wasserman will be reunited Sunday with Jennifer Whitaker, his longtime companion who has been aboard in 48 appearances, including his four previous Miles. She is the only woman to have ridden the winner of a Longacres Mile.
Their relationship was interrupted last February, when Whitaker fractured her upper arm and dislocated her shoulder in a morning accident. She is back at full strength and ready for a reunion with Wasserman, who gets in with a 112-pound assignment that Whitaker does easily.
“I missed him awful bad,” Whitaker said. “Him and all my horses. I couldn’t get on them, so I just stayed away and watched the races on TV. But I think the time off ended up being good for me, both body and mind. I would have never taken it without getting hurt − I love working too much − but I feel better than ever.”
Whitaker has won with 5 of her 21 mounts since her return, including a score on last Saturday’s program. In a career that started in her mid-20’s and has been largely confined to the Pacific Northwest, Whitaker has won 402 races to rank as Emerald’s all-time leader among women riders.
It might take more than a whiff of Whitaker’s magic to get Wasserman close this time around though. When he came back to the races this spring from his traditional winter on the farm, he soon drifted into claiming races for the first time in his life. Despite being the all-time leading money-winner in Emerald Downs history, Wasserman has not been competitive in a local stakes event since his second nearly a year ago in the Muckleshoot Tribal Classic, when he was beaten nearly three lengths by fellow Washington-bred Noosa Beach.
“It’s a shot in the dark,” Belvoir said. “That owner of his just enters to enter.”
Wasserman was bred and has been owned his entire eventful life by the same guy, Howard Belvoir.
“He might not belong in the race, although he’s been running good races this year, and he’s training probably better than he’s trained for a while,” Belvoir said. “He just needs to relax, drop back, and then he needs the breaks.”
Whitaker will be poised for just that moment.
“He’ll know me when I get back on him, and I’ll know he’s on his game if he relaxes for me and lets the others go on,” she said. “When we get to the quarter pole we’ll see what happens.”
What’s for sure to happen, win or lose, is a traditional Wasserman welcome from the big Mile crowd.
“He’s been awful good to me, and he’s good for the public,” Belvoir said. “When he won that claiming race for $25,000 here last month I think he got the biggest ovation of the meet. People were coming up and shaking my hand − you’d think he won the Mile again.”

PostPosted: August 20th, 2011, 12:26 pm 

AfleetTreet - I was looking back at the history of this race first run in 1935. I remember a very popular horse called Traveling Victor who won it and many other stakes up and down the west coast. Also, I see your favorite horse Chinook Pass, won the Longacres Mile in 1983 and the winners value of the purse was $115,000. I`m sure there are many more happy stories about the Longacres Mile. Did Boeing buy the land where the original Longacres track was located.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2011, 1:28 pm 

fred p wrote:
Treet...pleaseeeeee...no nominations...they are just a tease...wait until the entries come out. I think the majority will agree.

kind of right on that one fred to many races to many to keep track of -

when i post an early comment on who up to run i get pick at then when they do run they act like it is no big deal -- most be the hate of me -any way had some good one at saratoga todyay got to get home to watch the big race with george --- i placed his bets at lunch oso said she going to the track to with a friend to see his horse run brother is part of his name should do well.

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next