It is currently November 19th, 2017, 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: 2011 Sept KEENELAND Yearling Sale catalog Sept 11th to 2
PostPosted: August 19th, 2011, 6:06 am 

Bornahorseman and Swale1984 - If you think it is a big chore to sort through over 4,300 yearlings I have a good story for you.
One of my clients for many years was a very good outstanding horseman and bloodstock agent Mike Ryan of Lexington KY.
In the spring he would go out to the farms and physically inspect 1800 - 2000 yearlings every year. You can imagine all the traveling, phone calls, paperwork and not to forget the costs of taking on this herculean task. I should also mention before we go to far he picked out Sir Liam as a yearling plus many other outstanding stakes horse like Fly So Free, etc. When sale time came up he had many clients who did not have the time or knowledge to checkout yearlings and sought his services plus he could see how they were growing between the spring and fall. It`s a judgement business and he was very well prepared to assess the attributes of all his yearling prospects before the yearling went in the sales ring.

PostPosted: August 19th, 2011, 9:23 am 

HTR, what do you think of my picks? I have to admit that my biggest hope is for the Medaglia d'Oro/Ipi Tombe colt. What a phenomenal mare she was......

PostPosted: August 19th, 2011, 10:01 am 

hey hail thank you so much for taking the time
ill try to stay more on top of it

PostPosted: August 19th, 2011, 10:06 am 

Swale1984 - Hi Swale. I haven't had much of a chance to dig in to the Keeneland catalogs this week. I think I'll be caught up to you and Born by Monday
We are having major infrastructure work done to our 35 year old condo property including , new water lines, new sewer connectors, repaving driveways and roadway. Plus we are shopping around for a new insulated garage door. I know we are retired but we seem to be awfully busy these days.
I don't know about you but wouldn't it be great if we could sit down in the Keeneland Sales Pavilion and bid on horses we really like?
Due to a slow economy in the USA right now, I have to think we will see some real genuine bargains. With over 4,300 yearlings for sale there just isn't enough buyers out there to give the seller what they are asking. If I was in the market to buy a yearling or two I would make my choices and then contact the seller to see if the yearling has to be sold no matter what, or if they have a reserve. There will be owners of yearlings who need to get out of horse business purely for economic reasons and that is why I honestly believe there will be some very surprising bargains. Forget what the stud fee was or how much they paid for the mare, if a yearling has to be sold that is it.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2011, 4:18 am 

AfleetTreet - Fleet you are going to have to beg, borrow or steal some money to buy Hip #1109 selling at Keeneland next month.
There is a chestnut colt 1/2 brother to Awesome Gem being consigned by Taylor Made Farms.
He was foaled Feb. 21, 2010 and he is by Scat Daddy out of Piano dam of Awesome Gem.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2011, 6:46 am 

Swale1984 - I had a brief look at each one of your selections and here is my impressions.
#4 - I would pass, well bred but already has a fast 1/2 brother on the ground.
#5 - Same thoughts as above.
#7 - Yes, I like this family. All the sires were successful producing stallions. Lots of quality black-type and soundness.
#19 - I would pass, I don't like the earnings record for the 1st dam.
#22 - I would pass as the best colt is probably on the ground.
#42 - Yes, good all round sires and dams in this family.
#55 - Yes, I would by her because she is also an excellent broodmare prospect.
#61 - I would pass. Battle Plan didn't appear to be very sound. If it was a filly I would say yes.
#76 - I would pass. I don't know enough about the produce of the sires Manshood and Dance In Time. I think Gary Player owned one of the dams.
#78 - Yes, I like the breeding cross for this foal as I think it may have a chance at winning the classic distance races.
#79 - I would pass. Unproven sire.
#87 - I would pass unproven mare. This is a colt and the broodmare is by a good filly sire.
#100 - I would pass. Unproven dam who was a winner at 4.
#127 - I would pass. Unproven sire and dam.
#147 - Yes, proven sire and great race mare.
#153 - Yes, super broodmare prospect if for n o other reason.
#167 - I would pass. Low earnings on dam.
#211 - Yes, excellent sires and dams.
I hope I didn't disappoint you by going in depth more but we have a ton of horses to look at yet.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2011, 8:16 am 

Swale1984 - Hip #76 colt by Medadlia d'Oro out of Ipi Tombe (ZIM) by Manshood.
The dam has 3 foals to race including a 2 yr old of 2011.
The dam has one late developing foal, Pin Turn who won at 4 and only earned $48,460.
The other foal, Montastic Springs by super sire Sadler's Wells, is just a winner at 3, no black-type with earning of $32,214.
You have to ask yourself, what are the chance and ow much would she earn just running out her conditions and how much would you pay for her.
The filly's residual value as a broodmare isn't that fashionable or marketable for North America as it would be in South Africa or the UK.
If she is a nice conformed individual and you are looking to breed to race and not the market or add her to your stable she maybe worth a try but not at a very high price. I don't see any early maturing 2 year olds in the first 3 dams of her pedigree.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2011, 1:34 pm 

Thanks for the input, HTR! I have to admit that the Henrythenavigator yearling is because I was a HUGE fan of Stage Colony and his sister, BC Juvenile champion filly Pleasant Stage, and the dam is out of a full sister to them. There is a lot of stamina in that line through Stage Door Johnny to balance out the speed that comes from Henrythenavigator.

As far as the Ipi Tombe filly.....well, the foreign bloodlines are good for me.....I like their breeding programs.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2011, 2:25 pm 

Swale1984 - re foreign bloodlines - In our North American markets a foreign bred is a tough sell to get the top dollar you would expect. However, it will bring more in its country of origin like Tattersall's in the UK. I mentioned earlier if you are breeding and or racing for yourself it is a good deal. On the other hand, if you are a market orientated breeder and consignor you have to have the pedigree the locals are familiar with in order to get their attention. I have been down this road before. I had A 3/4 sister to a South African Champion horse called Sledgehammer who won 22 stakes and set 5 track records but the North American buyer wasn't willing to pay what it was worth. You're fine as long as you keep it for yourself.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2011, 2:31 pm 

Yeah. If I had a nice bankroll to actually go to these sales, I'd be looking for bargains....and that would be one. Well bred, but won't bring near what it's worth. Same with the HenrytheNavigator I mentioned......like you mentioned--unproven sire, and the dam's family isn't exactly fashionably bred.....I always said I'd go the "Seattle Slew" route.....and if it doesn't seem cut out for the track, there are ALWAYS other options!

PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 4:56 am 

Bornahorseman and Swale1984 - I'm going to see if I can analyze the first two days of the catalog and pick out 3 from each day.
Also. the trend in the sales over the past year has not favored unproven sires and the consignors are being hard hit.
I'm thinking there are a number of good solid proven sires out there who are not fashionable but proven and there might be some good bargains.
There are stallions who have been at stud for 8 - 10 years with perhaps 5 - 6% stakeswinners and progeny still racing because they are sound.
A stallion I think fits that category is Langhfur. Do any of you have any favorites?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2