It is currently November 19th, 2017, 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Page 10 of 12 [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: BREEDERS' CUP 2011 - Extreme Forward Planning ..!!
PostPosted: June 12th, 2011, 11:36 am 

Belmont would be fantastic. We found it a breeze to get in and out of there. The exit off the highway literally dumps you into the Green field parking lot and you can take a bus or a relatively short walk to the track. On the way out the traffic looked intimidating at first but it was so easy considering 55,000 attended. We only waited 15 minutes after the Belmont was over. Highly recommended!

PostPosted: June 12th, 2011, 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds good to me Ruff!!!! Like I said...can you imagine the Maniacs unleashed on NYC for BC weekend?? Woooohoooo! That's a big fat HOOF HOOF HOORAY!
:P

PostPosted: June 18th, 2011, 10:16 am 

I sure wish we were filling those extra seats too, and thanks for that, its nice to think we might be missed LOL. Trying to catch some Royal Ascot and still working on the house, and trying to find more time to devote to my pony. Kids are signed up for their DC trip, Caitlin spends a couple of days in Reno next week for orientation on campus, Amy is very most likely facing surgery on her shoulder we'll know for sure next week. ITs a crazy year. If it goes back to SA next year theres NO WAY we'll miss it, and if it goes to Belmont I will sure as heck make an all out affort to get there. But if they leave it at Churchill again, I don't know how motivated I'll be, unless another Zenyatta status star has surfaced by then LOL.

Luther, if you guys go to Vegas, let me know the dates etc- a BC trip is still out of the question, but a weekend in Vegas might be do-able .

PostPosted: June 18th, 2011, 10:59 am 
Site Admin

Karen,
Don't be silly! WE WILL ABSOLUTELY MISS YOU!! Won't be the same withouth you guys!!! Looks like they have narrowed it down to three finalists for the 2012 BC host site....At least we all know where our possibilities are for travel arrangements. I am sure they'll announce who will be hosting it in the next couple months.

(Thoroughbred Times)

Three finalists for 2012 Breeders’ Cup host site

Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 5:02 PM

byEd DeRosa
The 2012Breeders’ CupWorld Championships will be held at one of three locations, Breeders’ Cup Ltd. Chairman Tom Ludt said Friday afternoon.
The finalists are Belmont Park, Churchill Downs, and Santa Anita Park, which together after this year will have played host to six of the past seven Breeders’ Cup events and nine of the past 12.
“We’re aggressively working on that as we speak,” Ludt said. “We want to come out with the 2012 site soon and immediately start working up a long-term plan for 2013 and beyond.”
Santa Anita played host to the event in 2008 and 2009 and there was talk then about the Arcadia, California, facility being the permanent host of the World Championships. Churchill Downs staged the event in 2010 and will again this year for a record eighth time. Belmont has not played host to the event since 2005.
“Antony Beck is heading up the committee to select sites,” Ludt said of the Gainesway farm owner who also serves as a director of Breeders’ Cup and the Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association. “We’re working on this really hard. We have to get this sorted out. People want to start making plans.”
TheBreeders’ Cup appointed Del Mar President Craig Fravelas president of its organization effective July 18, and Del Mar has been discussed off and on for years as a possible host site.
Ed DeRosa is internet content editor of Thoroughbred Times

PostPosted: June 19th, 2011, 7:48 am 

karendeebee wrote:
I sure wish we were filling those extra seats too, and thanks for that, its nice to think we might be missed LOL. Trying to catch some Royal Ascot and still working on the house, and trying to find more time to devote to my pony. Kids are signed up for their DC trip, Caitlin spends a couple of days in Reno next week for orientation on campus, Amy is very most likely facing surgery on her shoulder we'll know for sure next week. ITs a crazy year. If it goes back to SA next year theres NO WAY we'll miss it, and if it goes to Belmont I will sure as heck make an all out affort to get there. But if they leave it at Churchill again, I don't know how motivated I'll be, unless another Zenyatta status star has surfaced by then LOL.

Luther, if you guys go to Vegas, let me know the dates etc- a BC trip is still out of the question, but a weekend in Vegas might be do-able .

Hi Karen, yes we will be making the trip to Vegas (flush with winnings from the Breeders' Cup)..!! The schedule is that we drive to Nashville on the Sunday after the BC (6th November), we will be there for 3 nights then fly to Vegas on Wed 9th November, again for 3 nights before flying home on Saturday 12th November.

It would be great if you could make the trip..

PostPosted: June 21st, 2011, 2:45 pm 

My wife just caught a cheap fare to Louisville on Southwest. $362. The best part is we are coming back Monday. We get an extra day to enjoy what Kentucky has to offer. Sunday will be her day!! LOL. It's the least I can do.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2011, 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

Clocker,
You simply MUST take her to Lynn's Paradise Cafe for breakfast first thing on Sunday! We had a great time there with Luther & the Brits! Perhaps we can go before th eraces on SAturday!!

PostPosted: June 21st, 2011, 3:52 pm 

Before the races on Sat?? LOL. Not a chance. Breakfast is always consumed within the hotel. That's me. Sunday is a possibility, but Sundays activities will be her choice. I'm sure there will be a consultation with Ruff. That will be the direction we will go. I'm easy once the races are over.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 12:05 pm 

We'd probably be up for Breakfast again at Lynn's on the Saturday - it was a decent spread and we'll be able to pick up the Saturday race card on Friday evening for perusal over coffee.

I imagine you'll be hitting the stud farms on Monday then Clocker, not that much to see in Louisville apart from the Ali and Slugger museums.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 12:27 pm 

LOL I love that there are such planners here as I am one too. I did enjoy Saturday breakfast at Lynn's very much and would likely be up for that again. I know Clocker needs to study and concentrate on Saturday morning and that is not the place to do it. :)

I have to leave Sunday night :( so can only fit in a few farms Sunday morning/early afternoon. I also suggest heading over to Lexington on Sunday and enjoying the day. You can go to the Horse Park and see a lot of different exhibits, shows, and horses (including Cigar and Funny Cide). Old Friends (my favorite place) is having a party/charity auction Sunday and I believe it starts at 4pm. Of course, there are always the farms and tons of natural beauty to take in. Take a scenic drive down Old Frankfort Pike then head out to drive by Calumet Farm. Stop by Keeneland and walk around the gorgeous grounds with a visit to their awesome gift shop. There are probably even non-horse related things to do but I would not know of them. :)

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 12:59 pm 

Ruffian79 wrote:
LOL I love that there are such planners here as I am one too. I did enjoy Saturday breakfast at Lynn's very much and would likely be up for that again. I know Clocker needs to study and concentrate on Saturday morning and that is not the place to do it. :)

There are probably even non-horse related things to do but I would not know of them. :)

Most of my bets will already be placed by the Saturday morning and I should be pretty relaxed (and probably hungover but the alcohol content in Kentucky beer appeared to be pretty low)..

I meant Sunday in the last post but it was a little naive of me to even think you may look at non-horse related options :)

It's an exciting time now that the fields are starting to take an embryonic shape. We could have a very strong hand this year, especially in the Turf races - I know it is early days but the US competition does appear weaker than normal this season.

And it would be amazing if Awake the Dawn made the trip for the Classic.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

More good BC news on the potential horizon!!! This just in!!!
8) :D :P 8) :D :P

(Courtesy of San Diego Examiner)

Stars aligning for Del Mar to host Breeder's Cup

Gerald Nicdao, San Diego Sports Examiner

Posted: 06/21/2011 10:09 PM

The Breeder’s Cup World Championships may soon visit where the turf meets the surf.
Several key events the last few weeks may lead for the famed Del Mar Racetrack to host horse racing's premiere meet.
Most importantly, the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club’s president and general managerCraig Favel was named president and CEO of the company that runs the Breeder’s Cup.
Secondly, the Oak Tree Racing Association—which holds an annual fall meet at a southern California location—would like to host its meet at Del Mar in 2012. If that does occur, the Oak Tree Racing Association would help Del Mar to expand its track in order to be ready for the Breeder’s Cup.
It’s just a matter of time now before the Breeder’s Cup calls the seaside oval homefor at least one year.
“We think Del Mar’s good image and national reputation along with our top level races that include 13 graded stakes will be a good mix there in the fall,” said Oak Tree executive directory Sherwood Chillingworth told the Union-Tribune. “Ultimately we will get the Breeders’ Cup for Del Mar within the next four to five years.”
But don’t count on Del Mar hosting the 2012 edition of the Breeder’s Cup. Chuchill Downs—which hosts theBreeder’s Cupthis fall—Santa Anita Park and Belmont Park in New York are all finalists for the rights to the 2012 meet.
However, the possibility of Del Mar hosting a fall racing event could come to fruition. Last year, theDel Mar Fairgrounds allocated funds in order to host Oak Tree in 2012.
And some say that Oak Tree wants its permanent new home to be Del Mar, after spending 40 years at Santa Anita. Oak Tree and the famed Los Angeles-area race trackhad a falling out in 2010. The result was the Oak Tree Meet being held at Hollywood Park. The meet returns to Santa Anita this year, but a permanent move to San Diego seems likely.
If that happens, the money generated from a fall meet in 2012 could help pay for the improvements at Del Mar which would be needed to host the Breeder’s Cup.
And having the former Del Mar president and general manager in Favel in a position of influence with the Breeder’s Cup may make the decision an even easier one.
"It's nice to have friends in high places," Del Mar CEO Joe Harpertold the North County Times. "I know the Breeders' Cup and Del Mar will meet sometime in the future. No matter who has been there in the past, they have been positive about putting a Breeders' Cup at Del Mar. It would be a great place to happen, and we'll continue in that direction as we have been. We have to get our turf course expanded."
But that is still a long way from now. Favel will leave his current post to join the Breeder’s Cup on July 18—two days before the start of the 2011 season at Del Mar.
And Favel still needs to get acclimated to how the Breeder’s Cup is done and how the selection process works.
After that, it should be only a matter of time before the Breeder’s Cup takes a train, or a car or a plane to Del Mar.
"Until I sit down and go through with the board and review the site selection process and all that, I have no idea (if Del Mar will host the Breeder’s Cup)," Fravel told the NC Times. "I obviously think Del Mar would be a great place for it, and I've always thought that."

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2011, 2:50 pm 

I could definitely be up for a trip to Del Mar...

We have a first show for the Classic (nothing enticing at the moment - I reckon I'll wait a while):

Breeders' Cup Classic Event Date 05 Nov 22:00
Each-way 1/4 1-2-3
Await The Dawn8/1
Animal Kingdom8/1
Twirling Candy8/1
Uncle Mo12/1
Shackleford12/1
Gio Ponti14/1
Dialed In14/1
Morning Line14/1
Sidney's Candy16/1
Pool Play16/1
Toby's Corner16/1
Tizway20/1

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2011, 10:59 am 

So You Think beat Workforce in a thrilling Coral Eclipse Stakes at Sandown today.

http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video/Ra ... _4,00.html

He has a nomination for the Breeders' Cup but it looks as though the Arc is the primary target.

He would be some challenge if making the trip to Kentucky.

On a personal note, we may have another 2 attendees from the UK, so that could fill the 2 racetrack boxes. Not confirmed yet but it will we great if they come, huge racing fans (mainly from a handicapping angle though) and large personalities.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2011, 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Luther,
That's FABULOUS!! The MORE Brits the merrier for sure!!!!! Keep us posted!!!

:D

Page 10 of 12 [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next