It is currently November 19th, 2017, 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Page 45 of 46 [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: UNCLE MO
PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 10:47 am 

I will say this I look at the chart before I look at the race Mo did run well in this race -- he might be back as a lower grade stakes horse but not the big grade horse he was las year. the chart does not tell it all that why you have to watch the race.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 2:46 pm 

Hail
I do appreciate your taking the time to look up the stats. I would do it but I don't know where to find it. I guess we agree that Mo ran pretty fast. I still can't believe he got beat by CP. CP just ran his last 2 races maybe 10 lengths faster than he ran his first 10. I know young horses improve but to put 2 together like that is pretty amazing. DVH deserves a lot of credit as does TP with the job he did getting Mo ready after the long layoff.
As far as Mo's pedigree, I agree it is not proven, but with Mo's speed, the breeders will probably show some interest. If I were to guess, I would say Mo will be a Kentucky stallion and his stud fee will start at around 30k.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 2:46 pm 

Uncle Mo was understandably short in his return. He ran a good race. No reason to retire him unless Repole is just looking for the $ as a sire. I didn't think he was that type of owner. We'll see. The Cigar Mile would be perfect. I don't consider Mo a classic distance horse. Cut him back in distance and he'll bury the opposition much like Big Drama.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 2:48 pm 

One thing we know is that Repole doesn't need the dough!

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 3:19 pm 

I've never been a big fan of Indian Charlie foals beyond a mile. I think Fleet Indian is the only one to capture a G1 at the classic distance of 10F. So, of course, he'll be a big draw for the breeders who want precocious 2 year olds and speed over stamina. I'm not a big fan of what I term the "speedball lines".....so, if I were a breeder, I'd not go that route.....

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 4:45 pm 

fred p - If we look back on Caleb's Posse you could almost see another stakes win coming at Saratoga.
Prior to the King's Bishop Gr1, he won the Amsterdam Gr2 at Saratoga so he really likes that track.
He also won the Ohio Derby Gr3, placed in the Rebel S. Gr2. and won the Smarty Jones S.
So in 8 starts this year he has won 4 stakes and 2nd in one, that's impressive improvement over the year.

Clocker - I'm sure you are aware many owners want to maintain their size of their racing stable or costs go through the roof.
Towards the end of each year he has to make decisions who does he sell and who does he keep for the following year to maintain the numbers.
He has 2 year olds coming up and he has to make room for them.
Plus you can be sure there are farms and bloodstock agents already contacting him about the prospects of syndicating Stay Thirsty who has a superior pedigree. Do you know if he breeds horses or is he strictly into racing?
I remember talking to the late Ed Friendly and he told me he was paying board on 60 horses. that's a lot of board money to put out for an owner.

Swale1984 - Do you think you may make an exception if it is a solid successful sire of sires line?
I was thinking of such sires as Danzig, Raise A Native, Ack Ack, Gulch, etc.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 5:08 pm 

Hail
For a normal owner your analysis would be correct. Mike Repole, if you are not aware, sold Vitamin Water for 2 BILLION dollars. He does what he wants and does not breed em yet. Right now he buys em to race em and I am sure he would like to see Mo race again. I think we will see Mo in the PA Derby. At least I hope so.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 5:28 pm 

fred p - Your comment about a "normal owner" brought a smile. No, I'm not aware of how Mike Repole got his money and I've never met him or know anyone who has. In the media he seems to have quite an ego seeking publicity and perhaps he is also an opportunist who only wants to be associated with the winning side and good news type stuff. I'll guess we'll know if he is really a true sportsman after BC weekend in November.
I have to think if he isn't a breeder he goes through quite a few horses. I wonder where they end up when they don't fit his barn which I assume wouldn't have room for cheap to moderate claimers.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 5:59 pm 

Hail
Repole is new to the game and is spending money on horses like the Sheiks. I hope he proves to be a true sportsman. The game needs those types.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 6:58 pm 

Looks like we may get to see Mo race again. According to Toddy boy:
“I think what Mike was saying is that as long as the horse is healthy he’ll continue to run, although you always fear a relapse from something like he had,” said Pletcher. “So far, there is no indication of that and we have a couple of avenues to look at, although, as I said earlier, we’d like to keep Uncle Mo and Stay Thirsty apart for now

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 7:14 pm 

Hailtoreason, for me to even consider a "speedball" sire, there had better be EXTREME stamina and soundness in the dam's pedigree. I honestly wasn't a fan of Indian Charlie when he ran, and his offspring is rarely on the radar for me because I want horses that can go 10-12 furlongs.....and he hasn't shown the ability to sire those consistently.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 7:45 pm 

fred p wrote:
Biskit
You don't like Mo's breeding?

horses with this kind of breeding are a dime a dozen.... i'm not one that follows the crowd when it comes to breeding. i have certain things i like, and certain things i frown on. anybody that pays more than 2k to have mo cover a mare is overpaying. indian charlie has proven to be an ok sire for milers, but isn't there better choices than him... our stallion population is full of horse like mo... we need more stamina and stoutness, and mo doesn't accomplish this at all. i don't see anyone with a nice sout mare wanting mo over bernardini and some of indy's line. street cry and mr. prospector's stallion line are a two others that come to mind. i'm sure mo will get a shot at some decent mares, and if any of foals show some promise then he'll start gettin better mare on a regular basis, but i don't see anyone with some top mares using mo..

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 8:05 pm 

Some precocious, fast colts become better sires that their breeding may indicate. I'm thinking Holy Bull and I can't think of any others right now, but there must be many others. After all, Indian Charlie's stud fee is $70k, so he must be doing something right.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 10:12 pm 

fred p wrote:
Some precocious, fast colts become better sires that their breeding may indicate. I'm thinking Holy Bull and I can't think of any others right now, but there must be many others. After all, Indian Charlie's stud fee is $70k, so he must be doing something right.

holly bull is one that is known for early developers, and wins those derby preps that most owners who want to make a quick buck like. this is chalie's m.o. as welll, but i wouldn't bet them in a classic race with your money... these are the type of runners i dislike... its a never ending circle of runners and sires that leads us to the state our older horse division is in now. you here many complaining that horses are retired to early.. the fact is they are retired because they realistically can't win races against older horses, even when they are an older horse.. they can only win a watered down restricted grade1 derby prep. after the real horses develope these same runners are basically a sprinter. this is what you will see with mo... or he will be retired before that fact becomes quite evident: that he's a sprinter... that is the con that is running the game into the ground...

PostPosted: August 29th, 2011, 4:54 am 

fred p - The combination of Todd Pletcher and Mike Repole reminds me of D. Wayne Lukas and Eugene Klein who teamed up years ago and spent millions.
I retired in Sept 2006 after running my business for 21 years working 7/24. I enjoyed it very much but I needed to step back and get my health back.
As far as Uncle Mo is concerned I think there is a better than 50/50 chance he will retire him mainly because he was a champion 2 year old and he doesn't want to risk devaluing him. In 1991 there was a 2 year old called Arazi and he won an Eclipse Award for 2 YR OLD Champion Colt. His record as a a 2 year old was similar ot Uncle Mo but as a 3 year old he didn't come back the same. If Mike Repole didn't have Stay Thirsty I would look at it differently but he has two 3 year olds and Stay Thirsty is coming into his own at the classic distances at the right time. I'm wondering if due to his illness and medication perhaps it has taken its toll on Uncle Mo and he doesn't have as strong a constitution as before to handle the classic distances and may need a more spaced out race schedule, if he races in the future. He is good and he ran good but Repole seems overly cautious about his prospects.

Page 45 of 46 [ 690 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next